Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ALMOST OT.. but not totally....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Pain Medications
I have to ask if anyone has ever had this experience before.....

I take Ultram- have been taking it for practically ever.... Im one of the few people that think that it works quite well a lot of the time for certain kinds of pain.... Of course Ive posted my probs on the WELCOME forum and Ultram is just PART of a med schedule I am on to control chronic pain from spinal probs.. ANYWAY---

I have an old dachshund who has arthritis and he limps and stuff when he first wakes up... I took the old guy to the vet today and after he looked him over, he handed me a bottle of meds to give him.. Half of a pill in the morning and half at night.... ITs TRAMADOL! It is 100% the same tramadol that is in my bottle, same thing exactly- right down to the numbers on the pills. A doggy on tramadol??

Ive read HORRRRROR stories about tramadol addictions and running out and w/drawls from it. I feel horrible giving that to my dog, (funny I dont feel horrible taking it myself but i wouldnt give it to my dog, huh?).... BUT still. I just had to ask if anyones ever had a dog who was prescribed tramadol before?

AND, also wondered if all dog meds are just HUMAN meds prescribed in smaller doses?

Thnx all!

• My dog Shadow was on tramadol before he passed away,he had cancer,they do use tramadol for dogs he was on 50mgs as needed for pain,he had a tumor between his toes.
  • Im IM PAIN so of course I dont want my poor dog in pain, ya know! So if it will help him feel better there is NO WAY i would bypass the vets advice and not give it to him. It just freaked me out that its the same thing as what I have lol...
    He isnt even very old- He'll be six this year, but every time he sleeps or lays down (which is all the time- lol) he gets totally stiff and is very slow to get up then limps for quite a few minutes before he starts walking right. He certainly appears to be in a lot of pain! I feel so bad for him.
    I hope tramadol doesnt make him sick though! Did your dog do ok with it?
  • NO KIDDING- thank you so much for posting that! I feel better about it already.
    Do you think it helped him????
  • My little dog who was 14 and passed away 3 days before Christmas was on Tramadol......she had cancer.

• Most vet medicines come from the same pharmacies we humans use. My cat takes the same allergy medicine that my daughter takes. Benadryl. It's just harder to get down my cat than it is my daughter. :)))
  • my 14 year old English Setter, Merc, takes Rimadyl, 10mg, 1/2 pill/day. I know that's a doggie med, but I wanted to tell you that I've been making my Merc a homemade doggy stew for almost a year and I swear it's added two years to his life. It's so good for him and he loves it.

Let me know if you - or anyone else - would like the recipe.

• Hi Cath, I would love to have it.
    Ill try anything!
    I gave him the tramadol as the vet prescribed and he really does seem to get up better, so far. It doesnt seem to make him sick either.

In my case its easier to get this down his throat than it is to get my daughter to take anything lol. My daughter hates to take meds. Thankfully she never gets sick !

To BIGCAT and SHAR- Very very sorry to hear about your pets- Thats a nightmare to me, I cant stand to even think about one of these little guys (and a girl) going to doggie heaven and im sure its really difficult. =((
  • Years ago my cat Puff started getting short of breath from a reaction to her vaccine. She was started on prednisone, but unfortunately she died and she was 9 years old only. I came home to find her on the floor and tried to do CPR on her but I didn't know where her heart was. I only tried because she was still warm. I hope she didn't suffer. It was very painful for me to lose her. She was my best friend from 19 until I was almost 29. I worked for a Doctor at the time and he saw me crying and I was working and he said she's only a cat! I straightened up and stopped crying I still have dreams of her sometimes. Me and my husband have taken in a hobo cat but since it may have been in a crack house it scratched me and hubby a few times we may have to take it to the humane society because of the brain damage. It's very hard to lose a pet. But if it's suffering eventually we have to let them go because we don't want them to suffer. Sorry to write so much but I hope your old doggy won't suffer too much. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Here you go, J. I make this about every four days, but Merc is 50 lbs, so with this amount, you probably won't have to make it so often. You can also tweak the ingredients (i.e. make the carrot bits larger or smaller, depending on your doggie's preference).

2 lbs. Lean ground beef (97/3)
    1-1/2 C Carrots, chopped (unpeeled is ok)
    1-1/2 C Frozen peas or green beans
    1 Large can kidney beans (drained)
    1/3 C Wheat germ
    3/4 C Wheat macaroni noodles
    3/4 C Brown rice
    3/4 C Barley
    9 (+/-) C Water

Brown the ground beef (don't drain, doggies need a little fat in their diet). Add in all the other ingredients. Stir and bring to a boil. When boiling, cover and boil gently for 45 min.

If your doggie has trouble with the little fat remaining from the ground beef, go ahead and drain. I tend to need slightly more than 9 cups of water to keep it moist.

When it's done, I have a designated tupperware container I put it in then keep in the fridge. For each meal dole out the amount needed and microwave before putting in his dish.

If Merc is a little finicky, I sprinkle a little bit of Parmesan on it (OMG, is this dog spoiled or what???). His favorite is when it's fresh out of the pan. :D

I look forward to hearing about how your little baby likes it. Merc looks forward to all his meals since I started feeding him this and, like I said, it's added years to his life. :X

• Charry- Oh my gosh what a story!
    What your boss said is truly horrible- These animals are not just cats and dogs. I love my dogs so much- and that might make me sound like a kid, but I do. I have kids and they love them too.
    I only had one dog when I was young, and it was actually a dachshund too. Me and my twin sis were outside playing one day and the mail man ran over him right in front of us. Thats the only experience I have w/losing a pet. I was so young that I didnt totally "get it". So when something happens with the dogs I have now, like I said, Id rather not think about it!
    Bailey will be six this year, which isnt even that old for a dachshund, so hopefully even though he is starting with the arthritis, he still has a lot of years in him!!!

Cath- thanks so much! Im going to the store later on and will be buying the ingredients for this. My dogs are also very spoiled. Its really BAD LOL! SO I totally understand where you are coming from! We sleep w/them, kiss them constantly, even my husband! Hes a big softie when it comes to these dogs!

• My husband and I never had children (never really planned to when we married 21 years ago), so our dogs are our children. We're down to one (little Merc) having lost out little Maggie 1-1/2 years ago to heart disease.

So J and Charry, I totally understand. Our pets ARE our children and, darn it, we can spoil 'em if we want to!!!
  • ...J I can't wait to see how your little guy likes the stew! :D 8>
  • Bailey is the one who was put on the tramadol- Hes the oldest (almost 6).. Babydog is going on 2, and Snuffy is 4.
    Yes, Cath- these dogs are most def. like kids, so I wouldnt let the little guy suffer if something will help him, ya know!
    I hope the tramadol is helping, but HE WILL LOVE THIS STEW and I really hope it helps! I would rather try something more natural than prescription drugs. Lord what if he ran out (well, actually i could give him mine). A dog would go thru w/drawls as bad as any human, wouldnt it?? I dont know! Like I said, if I could find a more natural treatment, I would be more comftorable with it for sure.

I saw an infomercial in the middle of the night a few years ago that was all about some kind vitamin for dogs w/arthritis and it was like a miracle drug. It CLAIMED that dogs that could barely walk were running/fetching again, all that. At the time I didnt have a dog w/arthritis and didnt think much of it, but wish I could remember what that was now!
  • Or at least that is how I felt and still feel about my little Murphy. She was 14 yrs old and the last year of her life she fought cancer....she was tough. Someone said the reason pets seem to die so young is can you imagine loosing them after being with them 30 years instead of 14....it kind of made sense to me. My heart is still breaking and I cry each day. She slept with me, eat with me...everything. After my surgeries she was the one who would stay up with me at night, walking the floor, taking every step I took......it is a great loss but I am so fortunate to have had Murphy and loved her for 14 years. I just had to write this.

• Shar, your post is so sweet. I feel for you, really I do. How long ago did you lose her? What kind of dog was she? She sounds like such a joy! She was lucky to have you and you were lucky to have her :)

Its funny because my dogs absolutely know when Im having bad pain, or if my husband is sick, etc. They will lay w/whoever is sick, follow them around. They almost seem depressed. Its so strange, but they are just that in tune with everyone in the family.

Ive never heard that statement about how long dogs live before, but it also makes sense to me. I wish it was different though! I think id rather outlive mine! Though, I shouldnt say that, my dogs are so attached to me and my husband that I cant even imagine what they would think if one of us disappeared. They would be as broken hearted as we would be if something happened to one of them!

• Its bad out, so I sent my husband to the store- I should be cooking up some DOGGIE STEW shortly :)
  • We lost Murphy 3 days before Christmas, we had her put to sleep. We were so hoping that she would make through Christmas but that Monday I could tell she was suffering so much and I had to make the decision. She was a Shih-tzu, furry little black and white ball. She had 4 surgeries during the year before and each time she bounced back like a puppy but around Thanksgiving she started vomiting and then stopped eating....the cancer had spread through her organs. The vet give her the Tramadol for pain but the last few days I could not get the pills down her. We tried everything but nothing worked.
  • What a decision to have to make, especially right before Christmas- That is SO sad :( .

There are a few websights about losing a pet and they have some really pretty poems- One in particular is "from" the dog "to" the owner, its really neat.

I dont want to post it and make things worse for you!!! But if you decide at anytime that you would want to read it, its easy to find if you google "pet loss". (Or of course ill send it to you sometime, after some of the initial pain has worn off a little bit).

It sounds like Tramadol made her life a little more pain free for awhile, hopefully it does the same for mine. Though he isnt in anywhere near the situation your pup was in, I hate to think of him being in pain.

Take care :)
  • I know that a university close to me has been doing trials on dogs with severe arthritis with an herbal compound called SAM-E. I don't know the dosage but have heard that the dogs getting the drug could barely walk outside and after about a month were playing again. I think it works more for joint arthritis and hips tho, not spine arthritis.

In people, I've heard it recommended as a mood stabilizer.
  • I found "The Rainbow Bridge" right after Murphy passed away...it was a great article to read. Google "Rainbow Bridge"....it helped me so much. I would be honored to read the poem, although my emotions are still raw, reading bring me comfort. Thank you so much for starting this topic. It might not be about our backs but it still covers a part of pain in our lives.

• Hi shar, just wanted to post a quick note that ill find that poem for ya shortly.
    It got icy up here on Wednesday and I crashed a car, so Ive been in bed for a few days :''( ..
    Wasnt hurt this time lol. Just stiff all over...
    ANYWAY- Ill find it ASAP, its a great one, and I cant wait to get it to ya.
  • That is so sweet of you. Sorry about the crash, glad you are ok. I have an awful fear of just a fender bender since my neck surgery. I have even thought of wearing my neck brace when in the car.....my hubby thinks I am nuts but he also thinks he drives great.
  • She is on a high dose (100mg. per day) which is what I used to take. I feel uneasy about it, but I will tell you this, she is able to run now (something she hasn't done for years) and very rarely yelps when she gets up from a laying position. I think it has helped her immensely. She is unable to tolerate Rimadyl or any anti-inflammatory due to stomach issues. I also feed her only organic food after the chinese food was killing our pets. That too has improved her quality of life. She will be 12 in February and she is my baby. :)
  • I My golden retriever is also on tramadol. 50mg 1-2 every 12 hours. I have not followed this though. I was giving him just 1 per day & just have started 2xper day. I can see that it has helped. He is 11 years old & very arthritic. No more cortisone shots.
    I am so sorry for those who have lost there beloved pets. I truly understand as I had to let my Lucy go New Years Eve 2007. We only had her for 2 1/2 years as she was a rescue. She was severely malnurished & abused among many many health problems, when we got her. We loved her all that we could & gave her proper care. She felt loved for the first time, I truly believe this. We were selfish as to keep her too long but I honestly belive that she didn't want to leave us either. I miss her every day.
    I'm sorry to ramble. This really touched me.
    I will be trying the stew. I would prefer my dogs being on a true natural diet that I can control what's in it & not. I plan to make it tomorroe & will let you know what they think.
  • There are a ton on arthritis meds out there, most containing things like glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, etc. (just like for humans). You have to be careful with nutritional supplements, because they are not regulated by the FDA. With no regulation, there's no quality control and just because the bottle says 1000mg doesn't mean it actually contains 1000mg. When it comes to nutriceuticals, stick with reputable companies.

For our older and arthritic patients, we have had really good luck with a product call "Joint Strong". The company's website is www.an-nat.com so you can check out the ingredients and how to order. It's loaded with joint supports, natural anti-inflamatories and anti-oxidants. It's a powder that you sprinkle on their food and most dogs LOVE it.

BTW, we use tramadol a lot for our surgery, cancer and chronic pain patients.
  • I'm obsessed with canine nutrition and cook for my dogs, even when I can't/don't cook for myself. They eat way better than I do! :))(

Because of that, I'm compelled to say... if you're feeding that recipe exclusively, you need to add a calcium supplement to balance it. Dogs require a specific ratio of calcium to phosphorus - ~1.2-1.5 parts calcium for every 1 part phosphorus. If I had to take a ballpark guess, I'd say that recipe probably has a ratio of 1 part calcium for every 7 parts phosphorus.

Here's some of the basic information on that from the Merck Veterinary Manual - click "trace minerals" on the menu:

• Wow, are you a vet? I recently took Merc to the vet for his 6 month checkup and told the vet about this stew. He said it sounded great, but to add some calcium, like Tums or egg shells.

So that's being done now.

Like I said, You're GOOD! =D>
  • No, I'm not a vet.. although I've considered it to save myself some money! :))(

I've put endless hours into researching my dogs' diets, just to make sure I've got it exactly right. There seems to be a lot of areas where the information conflicts, but everything I've read has some level of agreement when it comes to that calcium/phosphorus balance. ;)

If you grind up an egg shell to a medium consistency, 3/4 tsp of that powder has approximately 1470mg of calcium. There's some variation in the exact amount, because everybody has their own idea of what constitutes a fine, medium, or course grind.

I put whole eggs into my stew, shell and all. The egg shells have enough calcium to balance the phosphorus in the vegetables I use. I also use whole chickens with the bones ground up, because a whole chicken has a natural calcium/phosphorus balance.

Ahh, but I could babble on this particular topic for hours. And do! :D