Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Foot PAIN - will it ever really go away? - 360 Fusion L5/S1

BarbwireBBarbwire Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I suffered with severe foot pain in both feet for 7 years to the point I was using a walker just to move around. I went through 360 fusion for L5/S1 the first of December. Each day is different on what hurts and what doesn't, but my feet still hurt! The pain is not as severe as before surgery but some days they hurt pretty bad. I know it is still early for me from what others have posted regarding healing time for nerves. My question is - is there anyone who experienced foot pain (like walking on broken glass or every bone in your feet are fractured)that has had surgery and the pain went away (even with time)? I'm having a very hard time wrapping my mind around the surgery I've been through not to see more positive results. Thanks so much....I'm so thankful for this board! >:D<

• See if your doctor will prescribe Lyrica. It helps with my nerve pain. My right foot alternates between completely numb to the broken foot pain. Mostly numb anymore, and they said it may be permanent.
    My last surgery did help with the leg pain though. I can now walk without a cane or walker since a week after my surgery.
  • Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately I can't take Lyrica, Cymbalta or Neurotin. Have bad reactions with them all. Though before the symptoms hit, Cymbalta seemed to be a miralce drug for nerve pain. I was disappointed I couldn't take it. Congrats on your surgery helping with the leg pain. <:P
  • Did they say the foot pain was from nerves? I've heard that it takes time for the nerves to heal and regenerate after surgery and the longer you've suffered with this before surgery, the longer it takes to heal. Hopefully this will go away with time. I know I am dealing with nerve pain in legs and my right foot gets the pins and needles feeling in it but not like I am walking on broken glass. I truly hope you feel better soon.
  • as you, I also cannot tolerate Lyrica, Neurontin or Cymbalta. My nerve pain caused pain in my feet for a bit, but then they went numb. Probably about 40% numb, laterally. The outside of my hip, buttock, thighs, calves and feet including 4th and 5th toes. I have to be really careful walking, getting pedicures, etc.

I just got the spinal cord stimulator as there was nothing surgically left for me to do and I don't tolerate those nerve meds. It has been amazing, although my feet are still numb. The pain is almost gone, though. At least, significantly more tolerable.

The EMG finally showed what I had always known - something was really wrong with my nerves. Once the doc saw those results (permanent S1 nerve damage), his ideas and treatment changed. I guess it's because all docs know there isn't really anything that can be done for nerve pain if someone can't tolerate the nerve meds. All pain meds do is numb our minds.

( ( HUGS ) )

• Hi Barb, do you know TerriJV? She used to be on here a lot, not so much anymore. Your symptoms remind me of hers. She had 2 fusions trying to get better. Turned out she had blockages in her aorta and femoral arteries. Her leg/foot symptoms weren't fromn her back but from lack of circulation in her legs. She got a bypass and her legs are better now. Look her up, >:D< Sue
  • yes I feel like I had glass in my big toe and I would feel like my foot was broken from the soft pad area, last two toes and lateral aspect of my foot. I would limp around. It still happends now if I do too much squatting / mild bending, lifting or walking. We just moved house and I did a bit too much and flared up things. Resting really does help but I didnt want to remain inactive for any more time....too young for that. At 3 months post surgery I do not have much difference in the foot. But I do not like to admit it as I am being as positive as I can.
  • I appreciate all that have responded. Cali-Sue I will get in touch with Terry. I wouldn't wish this problem on anyone else, but is nice to know others share my frustration. I will send her a message. Scary thinking it may be a problem with the heart! I know all any of us can do is to stay positive....but after going through that grueling surgery just seems like we all deserve a better outcome. ((Healing Hugs)) >:D<
  • I know you have been told that a million times like me. I also have foot pain and what you may already know is it takes these nerves about an inch a month to heal. That means in my case the nerve fibers (from my back to the end in my foot) are about 32 inches long and so that is over 2 years of healing time. My foot controls my life because of the pain and numbing. I keep working on getting my toes to stretch out flat and spread. I still don't have a push off motion and when I go somewhere I must use a cane since I wouldn't notice a change in elevation with my left foot and would fall. I am at a year time frame since my last surgery so I have a ways to go. I have days of feeling like when will all this end and other days of I am going to have a normal working foot. I just never know which way it will go until I step on it each morning. I am the same age as you. Stay with it and keep talking to your foot nicely telling it how it needs to heal. Hugs,
  • Hi Barb,
    I too have a difficult time wrapping my mind around the state that I am in.My feet like yours feel like every bone is broken . i never had foot pain even before surgery. Mine was anterior lumbar fusion of l5-s1,Pyramid Plate with screws. It drives me crazy to try to explain how numbness and pain exists at the same time. I am tolerating the pain without major meds, but my activities and mobility are severely limited.Lyrica, epidurals, facet blocks, TENS machine, did not help either.Thanks for this post
  • I just have this surgery on 3/3/11 and am suffering from the severe foot pain like many of you describe. At first it was down my left buttocks and left calf and left foot. I have been taking 225mg of Lyrica for 4 weeks. The buttock and left pain have subsided substantially but the foot pain has gotten NO better. It's constant pain but at times I get shooting spasms on the upper part and in my toes. Also at times I get the burning along with it all and I cannot even touch it with a feather. It feels swollen all the time and it is slightely swollen and slightly red. I have read so many posts about how long people are suffering with this pain but I really haven't seen anything from anyone about any final resolution. Is this really pain I will have to live with for the rest of my life and have to take medication for the rest of my life?

Why don't the doctors warn you (in person) of these types of severe side affects that can result in this surgery. I seriously would have reconsidered the surgery in the first place if I would have known how severe this pain could have been. Dealing with the back pain I had before the surgery is NOTHING compared to this pain.

I feel like I will never be normal again and be able to function as I did before. In just this short amount of time it's taken a major toll on my physically and mentally and has also affected my teenage son stress wise.

Is there anyone out there that has found a solution for total relief for this issue?