Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Doctor Appointments

baffledbbaffled Posts: 375
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Tomorrow - 1/7 is a big doctor's appt for me. I will be retuning to my pain doc, haven't seen since Oct 08. Because the doc's believe the root of problem is in my neck, i went thru all the diagnostic injections for facets and then the radiofrequency itself. they even went into the T area 345. Even though 'ground zero' (I like to call the spot between my shoulders - where everything began) never was touched by what they did....he wanted to give my back a break. I did agree - i had had alot of injections and work done. He did another mri in my T - but it showed nothing.

Here's the situation for me - since oct. things have only gotten worse. The cervical nerves have regenerated and now i have had spine thru the left shoulder spasms for 8 days and not going away even with muscle relaxers. I take only ultram for the nerve pain - but that doesn't really cut out the pain completely.

What i have come to understand is the thoracic is like the ugly step sister to the rest of the back. Little info out there and the general opinion is the T area is so strong, it doesn't get injured.

What i am hoping for is to get 3 things from my appt.
1 What is his plan to help - and let get started.
2 Change my pain meds. ultram is not working
3 What other things could I be doing to either figure out what is wrong - a neurologist, arthritic AND/OR who else can help with the pain - Deep Tissue Massage/Acupuntur - but I need referrals - i don't want to look thru the phone book.

The problem is - i can be such a wimp in a doctor's office. Also, i have tingling numbness in my back, my feet feel like they have socks on all the time (lack of sensation) and way too freakishly dizzy and vertigo with movement of my head at times.

Sorry so long - just getting all turned up for this appt tomorrow. Plus the thoracic forum is least popular - once again the ugly step sister - heheheh

thanks for all the previous input and into the future - you all are a great help - pfm

• I hope your appointment goes well and is productive. I know exactly how you get in front of doctors. I get nervous and feel like I'm at the principal's office or like I'm about to take the SAT's again. It's like the wrong answer will take you nowhere.
    I think you're doing pretty good, you have already written out what your goals are. It really helps you stay focused and helps relay your questions efficiently. Keep us posted on how it goes :)
  • ask your doc if a series of progressingly stronger massage therapy regimens would help. it helps me when i can afford it. you tell the therapist when youvr reached your pain limit and work from there.
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Write down all the things you want to address anf take it with you. That way you can't "wimp out" when you get there and are sure to address all of your concerns. I'm the opposite at the docs, I turn into the class clown. I have no idea why. Never let em see you sweat or something like that maybe. I spend way too much time joking and making light of my situation. Thank God my docs can see through the act or I'd be in big trouble!

I agree with the massage idea. The only difference is that, when I reach my pain limit I make him go a little harder so that I know he's really getting in there. It hurts like heck but makes things almost bearable for a week or so.

Good luck and let us ugly stepsisters know how your appointment goes!
  • Saw my pm doc - they are going to repeat the cervical radiofrequency - appts later this month to do both rt and lt. I was examined by my doc's partner - finding some really funky things going on with my muscles in the thoracic, recieved a trigger pt injection which may or may not help (their words). And they are sending me to see Dr. Seghal withing the University Hospital's Physical Med/Rehab. From their discussion, this gentleman was a huge part of making Northwestern's facilities what it is and worked at the Cleveland Clinic for 12 years and they got him out of retirement and has worked for UH for 2 years. I haven't been able to get any info on him via the internet. Anyone know of him?

I am not sure what to expect, but my fantasy is that he is the Dr. House of Pain/Muscle/Nerves. I hope this is not a glorified PT - but he sounds like an impressive guy. He is not even listed through the hospital, so I guess I feel fortunate to have been referred to him.

Best part, is I truely believed that I was listened to and they realize I am just someone who wishes to get their life back - true pain, not sure why, but needs to be worked with to see how we can help. The appt is the 16th, so we shall see

thanks for listening and i hope all are well