Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

bulging disc or not?

morris8790mmorris8790 Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in New Member Introductions
~X( Hi everyone! I'm so glad I found this site I have had back pain for about 5-6yrs. Was diagnosed 5yr. ago with 2 mild bulging disc and DDD. I have had PT. meds.Chiro. help more times than I can count. Recently had a fall at work went to work-comp doc. for a strained muscle he said and did an x-ray and put me PT. After 1st week I was worse and in the ER. The ER. doc did a doppler for a possible blood clot because my pain was so intense in my leg. tht came back ok. He said that I needed an MRI on my Lumbar back due to the fall. Had to go to my family doc causr work comp doc on vacation. New MRI is as follows L4-L5 mild annular disc bulg lateralizing to left, mild bilateral facet arthropathy wit fluid in facet joints.mild narrowing of the left neural foramen. L5-S1 moderate annular disc buldge most prominent centrally and left paracntrally it measures 5mm in AP dimension and indents he ventral dural sac Mild cenral canal stenosis. Narrowing of the lateral recesses. Disc buldge protudes into the iferior aspect of the left neural foramen w/moderate foraminal steosis. mild narrowing of the right also. Mild facet arthropathy and slight prominence fo the ligamentum flavum. Multilevel DDD and fact osteoarthrosis in both disc. Now i have had 2 different diagnosis on the L5-S1 my family doc says it is a herniated disc while the work-comp doc says its only a bulging disc get a injection for the pain and go back to work. Could someone help me out there undestand all of this plz... I have made a n appt. for next week with a spine specialist to hopefully get some help I have been told that surgery doesn't need to be done but my condition just keeps getting worse. Hope you all can give me some advise!!! Thanks,



  • I am so sorry that you are experiencing such pain. The best person to go over your results with you is a spine specialist. I am of the opinion that surgery should always be a very last resort. Surgery holds no guarantees and could possibly make the pain worse. Conservative treatments should always be exhausted before considering surgery. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
  • Either a bulging disc or a herniated disc can cause your nerve pain. I had a recurrent herniation on L4-5 and a disc bulge on L5-S1 that was compressing the nerve down to the bone, and both conditions were going on simultaneously. I also had vertebral slippage (retrolisthesis) and severe DDD on those levels, and I had a 2 level fusion to correct all that.
    Sometimes doctors will use terminology in a way that is confusing. For a herniated disc, I've heard it called a slipped disc, disc bulge, protruded disc, etc. and it causes confusion.
    I would trust the family doc, but he doesn't have the experience of a spine specialist. I would also trust the specialist, but he's under workmen's comp's thumb.I know there are in network doctors that are working in your best interest and they costantly fight with WC. If you can, you could also get a referral from your family doc and see a private spine doctor. This opinion is valuable and can help clear up all the confusion. I hope you appointment next week is more enlightening.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. good luck as you seek pain relief! Jenny :)
  • Thanks so much for responding. Just wondering if any of you are having trouble with dragging your left leg and having muscle weakness also?
  • :) morris8790, i have severe sciatica in my left leg!!! :''( i drag my leg most everywhere i go. just part of how i walk now. the compensation is making me walk incorrectly and causing me hip problems. ~X( once your walk goes it all starts going!! :D i sometimes use a cane because i am afraid my left leg will fail. if you have that worry, you might consider a cane!! Jenny :)
Sign In or Register to comment.