Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Turning Corners

MarkRMMarkR Posts: 172
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Yesterday was the 3rd time since my August surgery that I felt as if I turned a corner in my recovery.

The first time was around week 4 when I started having occasional pain free hours here and there (this only lasted for around 3 weeks). The second time was around week 10-11, when I detected a noticeable improvement in pain levels and movement.

The latest turn is a puzzling one. I ran several errands in the morning with some pain. In the afternoon, I stopped at the gas station and made one other stop before a doctor appt (not related to my back). On the way home, I stopped at the pharmacy to pick up a prescription. After several steps, something felt strange. It was the feeling of being 98-99% pain free.

This feeling was not sporadic - it stuck around for the rest of the evening, with only occasional, extremely minor discomfort. Most interesting is that, with the exception of 2 Advil in the afternoon each day (approved by my surgeon), I have not taken any pain meds since last Friday.

I woke up this morning with the usual stiffness and pain, but within 2 hours I was back to the same, almost pain free feeling as yesterday.

It really is amazing how these things just happen.

How about you? What corners have you turned, and when did it happen in your recovery?

• I wanna be you. Like right now. I'm tired of pain meds and heating pads. Even though my fusion is great I just can't shake the back spasms to save my life. What I wouldn't give to be you for just two hours for one day. I know my day will come I just hope it's soon. <:P <:P
  • That's awesome! I hope you continue to feel better and better!

• That's excellent, Mark! Keep up with the stretches and exercises and it sounds like you will really be in good shape.
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• It's so wonderful to hear positive feedback from others on this forum. I keep hearing the words "patience" and your experience reinforces that thought. Thanks for sharing with us. :)
  • Good for you! Sometimes it's hard to find those little things that are positive when you have such an involved surgery. I'm glad you're finding some relief! Just remember, don't overdo now that you're feeling a bit better.

3 weeks postop fusion seemed to be when I really noticed a difference in the back pain aspect, it was magical. I had other complications that confused things, but starting PT was another high point because I felt like I could finally start DOING something to help myself(PT was delayed becuz of postop infection but started about 7-8 weeks postop.)

At about 8 weeks(I think)I was also able to get that darn shower chair out of the shower. That was a big morale booster.

• Fantastic! I remember when I realized one day that my lower back felt better than it had for as long as I could remember. There was not only no pain, but all the "pressure" I had felt for years, was gone. Simply gone!

I'm really happy for you!

• That is very encouraging. Hope you're painfree one day. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • You are my inspiration!

Okay, I am officially scheduled for the 21st. Gonna try to catch up to you ;))

• Good for you!!! Very encouraging!! I am so happy for you!
  • I know what you mean by the strange feeling of no pain..I (like most here) have had chronic pain for years but one night I remember waking up from sleep because I had NO pain..I don't really remember all the details, just that feeling of having avsolutely no pain in my body. I can't believe some people actually live life that way...

ANYWAY...I'm happy for you & it inspires me. Just what I needed to hear today! =D>