Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Maybe you can have just one perfect day back

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Chronic Pain
My symptoms in 2005
Very sensitive to anything effecting my lower back.
Bulged, torn disks and such in lower back (lots of em)

My symptoms in 2006
Didn't dare lift anything heavier than 30lbs on advice of physician
Constant back problems presenting EXTREME limitations to lifestyle

My symptoms starting in Feb 2007
First came really extreme back problems and wierd one's too, going into my chest and armpits, not like any pain you can put your finger on, a pressure sort of pain in the thoracic region, also lots of pain in the calves and hamstrings and lower back

Then came the pinching deep inside my muscles, especially the muscle bellies
Lots of tingling in the hands, arms would fall asleep almost every night
Arthritis like feelings in my hands and feet
Then came the pinching in my eyes
Then came the skin burning
Then there was the twitching, everywhere
Anxiety came, like I couldn't believe
Sleep patterns changed markedly
Everything, everything, everything changed. I went from Tarzan to very disabled almost overnight.
BREATH HUNGER! This writer is a deep breathold diver but was at times inexplicably wondering why he was STARVED of air, simply while walking through the grocery.

I got to the point where I didn't dare cast my fishing pole in our little community pond. I was that bad.

You know the routine, the doctors all telling me I'm nuts.

I am being treated for Lyme folks. I don't even want to tell you that I have Lyme because I'm no expert and I'm no doctor, so how do I know what I do or don't have. But this treatment or something is changing my life. I will tell you all about it and you can make your own determination about me.

Having just one healthy day back is all I wanted. I did get that, I got that one day. I surfed on that day.

I got another day too and of course I surfed. There were good days between but they don't stand out because I wasn't really testing myself physically. Eventually I got weeks and months back. I've only been on the road to recovery since July.

I don't know if any of you have Lyme and as I've said "hell, I dont' even know if I have it." I know I have a lot of symptoms in common with a bunch of people who describe themselves as having Lyme. I have recieved treatment for Lyme and for another organism which I tested positive for. This is the one that is supposed to cause the breath hunger in a very bad way.

I've eaten a lot of pills. I have spent some considerable money too folks. That is the sad part of all of this. It is not sad that I have spent it. Rather, it is disconcerting that some sick people might not be able to afford their care.

But some of it HAS been covered by insurance. Some of the medication was really expensive and insurance covered it nearly 100%.

I've eaten lots of supplements, lots and lots of em. Most of em cost a pretty penny too. Probiotics...ca-ching, VERY expensive multi-vitamins...ca-ching, Vitamin C, Magnesium. I eat about 20 such pills each day CA-CHING!

But on New Year's Eve, Dec 31 2007 I piloted my 17' skiff out into the open Atlantic. I drove it through ten miles of pounding waves. I pulled back both the bands of my big-game speargun, each requireing maybe a hundred pounds. I dove down to a depth of 50' on a breathold and speared a 48" Kingfish. Two days later I surfed for a couple of hours, paddling a couple of miles in the process.

A couple of days ago I was in the Gym doing overhead presses; 8 reps with 110lbs. The previous year I didn't dare attempt more than 30lbs at the grocery and had given up on exercise (too much for my frail physical state). My little 105lb wife did all the heavy work. She picked up the cases of bottled water at Costco (I'm 6'5" and 220lbs). Last year she watched the worst of my decline. I can see how relieved she is now that things are so much better with me; she's been given a day or two back also.

I had told my friends last year; "if I don't figure out what is wrong with me, I am going to be in a wheel chair soon, and then I will be in a bed unable to do much and then I will probably be permanently incapacitated and maybe I'll die." I wasn't scared of dying though, but noone likes to suffer either. I was more scared of living than dying.

I never thought I'd ever ride in a boat, much less pilot mine over pounding seas for 20miles round trip, doing a half an hours hand-to-hand battle in the water with a mighty fish and other such he-man antics for a couple of hours out on the beautiful sea.

Of course my answer is not for everyone. I am thankful for what I've been given and realize that it may not be mine for even one more day. I could slip back, it could all be lost, but I'm still grateful in any case. I'm grateful that my son sees his dad laughing instead of worried sick. I do have down days too though, but not really too many. Its been a long time since I've had a truly bad one.

I had to give up drinking (no loss really). I will never have another drop. I have to be meticulous about what I eat and generally about a healthy immune system. By the way; You absolutely would not believe how much adding a bunch of Magnesium to my diet makes. I was eating two 500mg pills a day but experienced a downturn. By upping the ante to 5 pills a day I completely reversed things back to feeling great.

I AM NO DOCTOR. But I do want to help anyone that I can help.

One last thing you might well ask; "how in the world did I end up being treated for Lyme?"

Here's the answer; I went through all the research into all the diseases. I thought it surely was spinal and had a host of MRIs and such. These do show my previous back injuries (I've got two fused in my cervical region). But the doctors said no way was my spine causing it all. I argued with my neurologist telling him "cmon man, you've seen my lumbar MRI, its a mess"! It must be the cause. "I'm clearing you for all activities" he responded. The neurosurgeon was less enthusiastic clearing me for daunting physical challenges, but agreed that my extensive maladies were not emmanating from either my cervical or lumbar regions.

Then I was sure it was Fibromyagia. But there was no tender point sensitivity, a hallmark of the malady. Then I stared looking at Parkinsons, ALS, etc.

I'm in a very technical field professionally, and am a dogged researcher. I spent ALL my fee time on the problem.

Finally I came upon a group who had all the symptoms in common with many of the folks on the other sites I'd visited, with only one exception; They were being cured!

This discussion has been closed.