Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tight Hamstrings

HopeforChuckHHopeforChuck Posts: 166
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have always had extremely tight hamstrings. Not marginally tight--freakishly tight. 10 days after my surgery, the PA told me I could stretch my hamstrings. I did and probably went too far. Ever since then (8 weeks out), I have hamstring pain (feels like they are being severely stretched) many times when I stand in one place--relieved (thankfully) when I sit or lay down. I have been working on stretching them gently the past couple of weeks, I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. It is enough to push you over the edge when you are battling the back pain, then the nerve pain, AND the hamstring pain. Should I just keep stretching? Could I be exasperating the leg nerve pain? Stretching the hamstrings relieves my back pain--it did pre-surgery as well.

• They have the best information for you, they know the extent and specifics of your condition. Other than that, keep up the good work and take it easy.
  • I know my husband pulled his and it was many weeks before it fully healed- that is a big muscle and can be a royal bother but hopefully it's not going to hinder your recovery.

Look for some hamstring stretch yoga poses. I hear they are gentle. Good luck!
  • Chuck, I have ridiculously tight hamstrings too, and they contributed to my back pain and overall problems. Are you seeing a physical therapist yet? I worked with my PT to address the tight hamstrings. I would not suggest that you try stretching them too much at all at this stage, until you start PT rehab and can work with an experienced physical therapist.
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Chuck,

I have also encountered tight hamstrings, but not nearly as bad as you. Mine has occurred since around week 14.

In preparation for just such a thing, I got a massage 2 days before my surgery. Maybe that's why my hamstrings didn't tighten up until later.

Here's a link to a Spine-health article about back muscles, low back pain and hamstrings: