Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Would like to find a cushion to help sitting issues

kathyykkathyy Posts: 580
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Does anybody know of any special cushion that reduces the pressure on the spine while sitting (at a reasonable price?) Seems like there must be something on the market that could make this sitting issue easier to deal with - especially for those of us trying to go back to work.

Wonder if there is a "memory foam" type of chair cushion available. Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated!

• I have memory foam cushions that I use. I have seen them in specialty therapy catalogs for sale, but I just cut up a small twin size mattress topper for mine and covered them with a pillowcase. That way I one in the car, the kitchen, the livingroom, you get the idea. I have some that are one layer and some that are 2.

You can also find gel cushions, but they are pretty expensive. Some larger "W@@@@@@" stores have a medical supply area in the front. Our 2 local stores have scooters, wheelchairs, recliners etc... they may have cushions like you are looking for.

You can also find thick foam in smaller pieces at a large fabric/craft store, not as responsive as the memory foam but a little less expensive I think. The other place to try would be a furniture repair shop. I have bought foam from them in the past for a project.

I hope you can find what you are looking for!
  • AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
    edited 06/16/2016 - 11:50 AM
    I have something very similar to this and it helps alot (especially in the car and if we go into a restaurant or somewhere with hard seats (hate the wooden chairs). 

I have had this cushion for a few years and do like it. Not sure that mine is tempurpedic but it is definitely memory foam. Good luck to you! >:D<

• I have a covered cushion. Underneath it is like a firm gel waffle...it's wonderful in dispersing weight and taking pressure off. I found it at Brookstone.com It is called a gel cushion.
  • AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
    edited 06/16/2016 - 11:50 AM

I use this amazing cushion. It is so flat. It has a waffle thing in it. It takes one small puff of air. I mean really a small puff. It is like sitting on a exercise ball. I take it everywhere. Resturant, airplane, friends house. It can roll up and go in my purse. My husband, who has no back issues always trys to take it on the plane. I got it from my chiro. I gave one to my father-in-law as a stocking stuffer. I found the web site. 

Hope that helps!
  • I saw the price on the web site. It was higher then the chiro charges me. I paid 50 and no shipping. Maybe you could find someone local that sells it. It is worth the money. I have had mine for 8 months and just about to order another becuase I really have taken it everywhere.

• never found anything, but purchased a vehicle with heated seats to help with the muscle spasms. I have what I call "pillow" issues. lol I have 2 favorite pillows - one I keep in the car in case I ever need it, and another one I keep in my recliner (where I spend the majority of my day). These pillows followed me to the hospital recently, and they basically go everywhere I go. Makes a huge difference in my overall comfort.

Hope you find something that feels good for you,

• Hello Kathy,

The very best seat cushion I have found is one by Tempur-Pedic. What is great about it is that it is contoued to fit ones butt/hips. I take it whereever I go.

Okay, it is not cheap. Mine cost about $80. Is it worth it? In my opinion it is.

• One is called a Relax-o-bak cushion, it has a U shape cut out of the back so the bottom of your spine touches nothing. The cushion itself is a wedge that slants down to your knees. I have the grey, plasticy foam one. Actually sturdier than the cloth-covered model.

The other thing I have is not a cushion. It's called a Back Joy. It looks like a scoop. You push your tush back as far as you can into it and then slide both it and your butt back into your chair. It kind of cups your buns into holding you up and making you sit straighter. I didn't think it did much -- had one in the car. Then I made a two hour drive without it one day and could hardly get out of the car. YES, this thing does work. You can get them at Bed Bath and Beyond.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • WoodspinWWoodspin CaliforniaPosts: 4
    Try Chirodoc, it's memory foam U shape cushion, I got this for my mother who has recently been having problems with a muscle on her upper thigh. Sitting for prolong periods of time tends to flare up the muscle and causes her discomfort when walking or sitting.  My mom says It's very supportive, comfortable, and is right-sized for most types of chairs. She loves this! it's memory foam seat cushion has been excellent for her to use on her desk chair or while driving. It's not expensive, mine cost about $35. You can find it on Amazon.
This discussion has been closed.