Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain as Bad as Before Surgery, Lumbar Decompression, Post-op 6 Weeks

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I'm now almost 6 wks. after Lumbar Decompression. I am in the same pain as I had before surgery. The severe pain radiates from my left cheek, around and down the front of my leg, then at the knee, moves to the inside of lower leg down to my ankle. There seems to be no stopping it. My surgeon says it's because of the nerves being disturbed and they need to heal, which may take time. I asked this question before, but really didn't get many replies. Has anyone heard of the disk rupturing to the outside instead of inside. He said that only 1 in 100 have this type of rupture, which made the surgery much more difficult. Please reply if you're familiar with this.

My concern is I am having as much pain now as I did before the surgery. I take a lot of meds for blood pressure, cholesterol, and etc. For pain, I'm on Norco, Lyrica, Celebrex, and Flexeril. He just added the Flexerill and stopped Soma two days ago. I have an appt. at the Pain Management Dr. on Jan. 19th. I just don't know how long I can go on in this pain. Any recommendations or insight, let me know. Thanks to all of you for your previous replys.

Thanks again,

• I can understand the situation you're in because it happened to me too. Once I woke up from my decompression surgery, the pain was still there and my leg felt like it was on fire. I never felt any relief at all, and the doc told me the same thing about the nerve being irritated and swollen and it takes time to heal. Well, it never did, even after my fusion. It's been over 2 years of this and all I have to show for is chronic pain.

• I understand your frustration, though mine has not been as bad as your case.
    I had a micro discectomy in 2008, I woke up still in pain. I was hoping that this leg pain would go away after a while but afraid it's wanting to stay for a bit longer then I expected after the surgery. I can walk better now then before the surgery, before the surgery I could hardly put any weight on the leg, now it's just pain radiating down the leg and into my foot.

I would just love to have one pain free day. I suffer not only with leg pain but neck pain as well as terrible migraines, so it seems I always have some kind of pain going on. But I'm trying to stay posititve and remember that my pain is more bearable now then before the micro discectomy.

Wishing You the very Best,

• Sorry you are still suffering so much. It's good that you have an appointment with Pain Management on the 19th. See what that doc has to say.

Maybe consider getting an opinion from another surgeon.