Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi Everyone

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in New Member Introductions
Finally decided to join the message boards. I have been using these message boards since before my surgery for info on what to expect with my surgery as well as dealing with the after surgery issues.

I had a decompression with a spinal fusion on December 3, 2008. The reason for the surgery was a synovial cyst on my spine. The surgery went well with a few complications. It was supposed to take about 3 hours and ended up lasting almost 8 hours. When the surgeon went in he discovered the cyst was wrapped around my spine. I needed two additional blood tranfusions the day after surgery and on the third day my lungs collapsed, which was very frightening. I spent six days in the hospital.

Here is my story...I started having hip and leg pain starting in July of 2008. At first I thought I was dealing with bursitis of the hip since I had a similar problem in 2007. As it progressed the pain became unbearable and pain medication did little to help. After a number of steroid injections as well as aqua therapy with no relief, they finally did an MRI and discoverd the synovial cyst. My orthopedic surgeon wanted me to try spinal injections prior to surgery just in case they helped, although he figured surgery was my only option. I am 62 years old and he told me that I was a good candidate for surgery because I had no other health issues. I had two injections which did provide some relief but the unbearable pain returned.

My first follow-up visit is next Tuesday, 6 weeks post-op. Don't know what to expect but hope he will let me return to work at least part-time as well as reinstate my driving privileges. I do not know what the criteria is for returning to work. I work in an office environment and spend a good part of my day at my desk doing computer work.

I thank everyone for their posts. They have been so helpful in dealing with the aftermath of spine surgery and all the issues it brings.

Even though at times it has been difficult, I no longer have the excruiating pain caused by the synovial cyst pressing on the nerves and I know that each day brings me closer to a normal life.

To those who will be having surgery in the future, after my experience, I believe it is well worth it. There are difficult and frustrating days but once you are recovering you can look forward to the future when you will go back to your life as you knew it before you life was consumed with unbearable pain.

• Hi Donna:
    So glad to here you are recovering well from your surgery? Eight hour surgery wow! I am looking at a similar surgery this year and wondering why you did not have any driving privileges. I understand you cannot drive for a while after surgery but no privileges?? I will be returning to a desk job also but 2 days a week I am in my vehicle on sales. So, I am just wondering how long before I can return to work after my surgery? Good luck in the rest of your recovery but it sure sounds like you are on the right track with a great attitude.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. good luck on a successful recovery. stop by anytime! <:P Jenny :)
  • Welcome to Spine Health. I'm thrilled to hear that you are feeling so much better. Think positive and stand tall when you go for your follow up next Tuesday. A smile can work wonders!

• to Spine Health! Sorry you have such a long hospital stay/experience, but so glad you are doing better now.

Take care,

• That is great news! It is encouraging to hear from people that actually did get some pain relief from surgery. Good luck with your recovery and please keep us posted.