Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS scheduled for January 14th!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Pain Management
Hello everyone! :H

We are so excited and nervous at the same time! Chris is scheduled for his trial Spinal Cord Stimulator implant on January 14th. Your prayers and words of encouragement are greatly appreciated...now for our concerns.

Chris' main concern is the limits on his ability to lift and any mobility issues. Anyone have any input or personal experience they would be willing to offer?

My question is, I'm use to rubbing his back - do I need to revise how I do it or is it something that he may actually want me to do more? That may sound stupid but I don't want to hurt him worse but would think it could provide some kind of comfort with the implant site. As always, we are open for any ideas, suggestions or comments. It helps us to be better prepared and we truly appreciate it.

8> By the way, Chris and I were married on December 20th last month. We are both very happy! <:P

Thanks to everyone for your advise and friendship. It is a blessing!

• Congratulations to the both of you <:P You have been through so much together. I hope the SCS works for Chris :)
  • Congrats on your marriage! That's fantastic.

With a permanent SCS implant, there's a 5lb lifting restriction for the first 8 weeks after the surgery. Also no bending, twisting or reaching above your head for the same period.

As far as massaging the back near the implant site ... I personally would not have been able to tolerate it. I would also worry that it could cause an extension wire to disconnect from either the generator or the leads. Depending on the type of leads used, I would also worry it could cause lead migration.

During the trial, he will probably be told (like the rest of us) to go out and do what he normally does, in order to see how effective the SCS is for the treatment of his pain.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

• Congratulations on your marriage!! I had my trial at the end of November and it was amazing. I had 5 days of a new life - buzzing, but practically pain-free! However, even though I was as careful as they say to be, my leads dropped one inch!! (Long story how we came to know that, but in my case, it was a blessing.) Had my leads been in the correct spot to begin with, dropping an inch would have been bad and meant that I would not have had coverage in the correct area.

So, take everything they say seriously. Do not raise your arms over your head, so not bend at all in any way, do not twist. As his spouse, be prepared to watch him because it is so easy to forget little things, like pulling a shirt over your head. The trial will also have exterior cables that can get caught on things like doorknobs (loL), so just be really really careful.

I just had my permanent SCS 2 days ago and today we found a program that is working. (I have had a different, difficult case due to something in my spinal canal that is not normal.) But when the buzzing is in the right place- oh my goodness!! Just wait until you see his face! The pain relief, the shock, the excitement. Him trying to explain what it feels like, just being sure you can feel the buzzing too. Crazy!! But so awesome.

If you search my name, please do not be alarmed at my story. Skip over the horror parts of it and read about the relief I eventually felt. I moved forward because of that. And even though Monday was also quite horrid, today we worked for 2 hours with the programmer and found a program that works. I am buzzing in the right places. Yippee!!

I have power over my pain. I don't have to suffer. The more I hurt, the more I can turn it up, or turn it down, or turn it off. This has been answered prayer for me. Had this not worked or if in the future it quits working, my only other option is an implanted pain pump. (I have permanent S1 nerve damage).

Good luck!!

• First of all I would like to say a heartfelt "CONGRATULATIONS" on your marriage... I hope that the two of you will have a wonderful life together! It is so awesome that you have been so supportive and helpful to your new husband as he has gone thru his pain journey.

After getting my perm scs (last March), it proved to be too tender over the battery pack area to rub on. Any extra pressure on that area is uncomfortable to me, besides my clothing. At the lead insertion site it is just fine to rub on. It isn't tender AT ALL. Of course, I have had plenty of time for my leads to have scarred in. Chris may not have the need to have his back rubbed after getting a scs, but if so, I don't think it will be a problem once it has scarred. He'll know pretty quick if it will be uncomfortable or not.

I wish you guys good luck with the trial. I hope that it will give you MUCH pain relief!!
  • Thanks to all of you who responded! And thank you for your heartfelt comments - I am blessed to have found the love of my life! Please pray for us and for a great outcome with his SCS!