Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Pain Medications
Is anyone taking this or ever taken it....??? Doc just took husband of fentynal patches and put him on this.. Any response good or bad.. Patches had got too many bad effects.

• Is he on the OPANA ER or OPANA tabs?
    The reason I ask is because Ive heard OVER AND OVER again that chronic pain patients think Opana works pretty well WHILE it seems like most think OPANA ER does nothing :S .
    OF COURSE that doesnt mean it wont work for him! There are people that it works for!
    Ive never been prescribed either, but besides reading THREAD AFTER THREAD on the subject, my doctor told me that he "wasnt impressed" with Opana ER, as many patients say they have no relief with it?? SO.. just thought Id let you know what Ive heard!
    Hopefully he has good luck and lots of relief with it!!!
  • I was given Opana as a breakthrough med after the Lortabs stopped working and, while I get decent pain relief with them, it's like taking speed for me. One dose can keep me up for over 24 hours! Needless to say I'll be talking to my doc about switching to something else. I've been enduring the pain rather than taking it because I don't sleep enough as it is. I don't have any experience with the Opana ER. Meds work differently on everyone and just because others say it doesn't work for them doesn't mean it won't work for your husband. Remember too that it may take some time for his system to adjust to a new med too. I think sometimes people give up too soon and don't give them a chance to build up enough in the system.

• Opana-ER works well for me. Fentanyl made me very sick, I couldn't take it. Meds work differently for everybody, so I am always willing to give things a try. You never know until you try it. I hope it works for your husband, or that he finds something that does. It took me about a year before finding a med that worked really well for me.
  • I have been on opana er for about 1 1/2 years. I started out on 30 mg but after awhile they quit working as well, so they increased to 40 mg every 12 hours. However, they do not last 12 hours, for me they last at the most 8 hours. I have told my doctor this and he said after your body is on medicine so long it starts to metablize quicker. But initially, they do work. Also, they are hard to find, This month I had to call 3 rite aid pharmacies before I found one that had them. I was on oxycontin prior to these but my insurance will no longer pay for them.
  • Well said Treefrog.
    This is it, the key that most people don't understand, and it took me a long time to understand it myself. Drugs in general effect each person in a different manner. I was so surprised to read somewhere that this person was taking OxyContin and it had a speed effect on him or her. I remember telling people many years ago, "try this", it works great for whatever ails you to find out later, after they had tried it, it didn't work at all for them. So, if we can remember that not everyone is the same and not every drug works the same way for everyone, we'll be just fine. When referring to a specific med it is always best to say that it works for you or that it works the best for me. All one can do is speak from personal knowledge and experience.