Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had anterior cervical fusion 6 years ago now having problems, need advice.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had C4-C5 and C5-C6 fused with hardware 6 years ago. I started having pain about a week ago. Also had the same pain about 18 months ago. Well I had an MRI today and now I scared.
It looks like the metal in my neck might have effected the MRI quality, but it says disc protrusion in C3-C4 and C6-C7, bulging degenerated disc C7-T1. The scarey thing is it also says that the metal device is encroaching upon the spinal canal.
I can live with the disc..I let my lumbar go so long that it fused itself. So I'm tough. I only had the cervical fusion because it was causing numbness and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do my job. But metal encroaching on spinal canal sounds serious. Is it? Can any one tell me anything about this? Please. Also I'm new here looks like a very needed place. Thanks in advance.

• SOunds scary but these MRIs should be read by several neurosugeons. I sent mine to THREE! Each had a different opinion of course :) I took the less invasive operation-check it out on my 1st long, long post here at SP-H :)

Sorry I can't help you more, but I do wish you luck and hope that it isn't as bad as it now sounds.

PS Both my operations where on C7, as well as C5 the first time.
  • You're in a great place full of good hearted people. I'm with Paul on this one. I know it's driving you crazy but your doctor will explain the word "encroaching" in what it means to you. On the up side at least it didn't say something that eludes to it's pressing on your spine. Do you have an appt with your dr anytime in the new future?
  • no i don't have an appointment with my neuro yet. my family doctor will tell me i need to see the neuro and then i'll wait and wonder. such is life. :)