Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, all. I'm new here and couldn't find a post for those of us having surgery in February 2009, so I thought I'd start one! I'm having a one-level fusion at L5-S1 for Grade II Spondylolisthesis.

I've been having lower back pain for at least the last 17 yrs, but it's never been debilitating or anything. Just annoying. I could relieve pain by bending forward from the waist until my lower back cracked. That would help for a while, then I'd do it again when the pain came back. I was mostly in pain after standing or walking for too long.

I finally saw a doctor for the pain in April 2005. At the time, he found Grade I Spondy...my L5 was slipped forward about 1/4 of an inch. I started getting some nerve involvement at the beginning of 2008 (lots of right hip pain, numb patches on my right shin, tingling right foot). When I went back to the doc, the MRI showed the slippage was now 1 inch. He'd told me in 2005 that he couldn't say whether or not the L5 would slip further...well it obviously has and will only continue to do so, he says, so it's time to just bite the bullet and have the fusion to put it back in place.

I'm 35, healthy and in decent shape. I'm not in great amounts of pain, not bedridden, not overly limited in daily activities. This is why it's taken me until now to decide to have the surgery! But he makes a good point...that I should get it overwith while I'm still young and will recover faster, and while I'm NOT in constant pain! I guess he's right, but I'm still not totally sure!

Oh, and I REALLY can't decide whether to do the bone graft from my hip or use the InFuse BMP...there are horror stories for each!!

Sorry so long...would love to hear from others who are in the February boat! =)