Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

had my surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
On 01/05/2009 I had a "matrix" decompression of my l3-l4 disc. The surgery took 2 1/4 hours. The incision site is about one inch long. When I woke up, I was in pain. It was quickly taken care of and by the time I got to my room I felt as if I had gotten my life back.
I was up and walking in no time-the nurse had to tell me to slow down. I was released from the hospital the next morning. I have been home for three days now. the pain has been tolerable. It is in the incisioan site mainly. I am being extremelycareful-don't want to go back to the same place I came from.
Doc says that i may have some pain in my leg and buttock because of the amount of nerve manipulation he had to do. Also said the herniation was such that no matter what I had been trying, it would not have releived the pain.
I plan on going back to work on Monday-after one week off. I have a desk job that allows the opportunity to get up and move about.
My only issue is--why am I so blah today. My surgery sounds so much less than the others here. I should be grateful but am still worried. I can't explain it.
advertisement

Comments

• and the anesthesia takes a long time to leave the body as well as the drugs used during surgery. Does your doctor agree with you going back to work so soon or is this your idea? Give your body a chance to heal. Take care and glad everything went so smoothly for you.
    julie
  • Be kind to yourself, surgery does take a lot out of us. For months you were suffering all that pain, wearing your body out. Now that your body is recovering, it's finally taking a break. After-affects of the meds and anesthesia also probably are playing a part.

Take care and take it easy when you go back to work,

Cheri
  • It's not uncommon to have a "honeymoon" immediately after surgery. You feel good and relieved.
    It's the meds.
    They can also alter the body's chemistry.
    I had some really really bad emotions and thoughts after my L5-S1 discectomy.

-----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008