Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

arm pain post 1 yr. acdf questions...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everyone,
I have been a visitor on the forum some months ago. I am post op a little over a year. I had a two level acdf 4-5, 5-6. Recently I have had two seperate occurances of pretty significant neck pain. The first was the worst lasting only 3 or 4 days. I was barely able to turn or use my neck. Than recently I had a lot of pain in my arms and wrists. Very confusing because it is in both arms more so in my right and sometimes in my upper left arm. It hurts to where I have a hard time gripping. I am so afraid that I am having other disc issues or maybe it is the beginning of carpal tunnel. Anyone have the same issues?

• But this is something I would want to ask the surgeon right away. They say fusion can take a long time, and I'm sure you have had it checked regularly during the long process, but it can't hurt to go double check. With any spine operation there are no guarantees for permanent success, so make an appointment now and during the probable long wait to see your doctor, we can answers your questions.

WHen my first surgery began to fail (after less then 10 years), I could tell a year in advance that something was happening-all on the left side as before- twiching in the muscles, numbness in the fingers, tight shoulder, pain between shoulde blades. One day the pain in spasmsing muscles got worse, then the next even more pain, then 3-4 days later so bad I had to go to the ER.

It happened pretty quickly for me and I knew it was the same thing from past experience-pinched nerve in my neck. First NS wanted to fuse my neck but I declined that because research has shown it can sometime lead to more issues for people like me with DDD. I did a ACL w/o fusion on 12/4/08. Still recovering and still with some minor issues. The big question of course is how long will relief last?

Good luck in your search for answers!
  • I still have arm pain and from what my surgeon says I will always have pain. My last visit in October he still would not say that I was fused. I do know that nerves take a long time and usually at the year point is where they will always be. I do have a bulging disc above my fusion but according the the PA at my surgeons office it is "no big deal" Well anything in my neck that is bulging is a big deal to me.

• Thanks everyone for your response. I thought it interesting that my surgeon has not seen me since my 6 mos. check up. I thought there would be year follow up. If I was a surgeon I would like to keep some kind of tabs on my patients. I guess they feel everything is ok until we contact them complaining. I didn't know whether to contact his office or start over at the gp. I am going to wait for a couple of weeks to see if this new arm pain will go away. My neck pain has subsided. I had that between the shoulder blades sharp pain for a few days and since it has gotten better.