Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Mystery pain

meydey321mmeydey321 Posts: 2,435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Chronic Pain
I don't know what went down yesterday afternoon. I had grabbed a couple towels out of the dryer earlier. Around an hour later I got socked with incredible pain in my back over my incision site and muscle spasms in my right leg. It felt like a new pain and I swore that I had herniated something. I was crying and was on the brink of calling PM on call, but decided to wait it out. By 10 pm it was under control while I watched the BCS title game. I have no idea what that was about; getting 2 towels caused all this? I bent my knees as best I could when I pulled them out. Well, I guess it doesn't take much to hurl us spineys into a world of pain, huh? :''(

• Computer is acting up :O
  • I had a microD and there were several times during recovery that I just knew I had reinjured myself. Even went to PM in tears. He reminded me that it was not my disc because the pain in my leg stopped at the knee. I have had my ankles and knees go out also. This was because as I was healing I was walking differently to compensate for my back pain. It was horrible. If it really worries you it is always best to check with your doc, Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • I do not go near the laundry much at all, and if I have to, I take my gripper. I do not bend, lean, period. I use my gripper to pull things out of the washer and/or dryer.

Do you have grippers yet? They are only $9.99 at Walmart, but worth much more. They will even pick up a bobby pin off the floor. You must get one. And if you have one, you must start using it for things like today!!

Hope your pain goes away,

• I have a gripper but it is always upstairs when I'm down and downstairs when I am up, For $9.99, I could have TWO and find a permanent place to keep them so I always know where they are. Thanks Cheri for the good advise. Susan

p.s. has anyone taken a class on how to clean the house without hurting your back?
  • I have figured out the easiest way to clean the house without hurting my back is to simply write a check to a maid. Although I hurt myself once when I dropped my pen and had to pick it up, so maybe not...
  • Hi everybody, thank you for all your help.
    Painintheback, I had my fusion on L4-S1 about 8 months ago. I still have chronic back pain and sciatica and the surgery never brought me any relief.
    Cheri & Susan, I have a grabber but I didn't think I'd need it at the time. Boy was I wrong.
    Kai, that's a great idea. Will you pay for my maid too? :D
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    can give you almost invalid confidence. While those devices are very important right after surgery, you dont want to become dependent on them. You feel that you can accomplish things using things such as the 'grabber' You can, but at the same time you can run the risk of not properly stretching your body and muscles. Of course, only your doctor can let you know when its the proper time to start exercising.
    When you body is not properly ready due to an aid such as grabber (only for one) when you do go to reach something without it, you could be opening a door for some new pain.

After you have had spinal surgery, doesnt matter if its cervical, lumbar or thoracic, you need to always be aware of what has happened. Even the simplest and smallest thing can set of a problem. One time, I just bent down to pick up a pencil, sneezed ad the same time and I was a hurting person for several weeks and then eventual, I went in for lumbar Surgery #3.

But its not all gloom and doom.
    Some times its just a matter of common sense.
    But many times, its those little things, that seem so innocent that can become the darkness.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I was wondering does anyone else still use their raised toilet seat months after their surgery? I do, because lowering myself down is difficult. I have the same problem because my car rides low to the ground. Can't exactly put the raised seat in there, can I ? =))
  • Meydey,

You're a couple weeks ahead of me on healing and I got the biggest kick out of you mentioning the toilet seat. :))( I LOVE my raised toilet seat! Of course whenever I'm anywhere else, it feels worse than sitting down when men leave the seat up since the drop's so far after using our raised toilet seats. I think I'll be using this for a while longer!

• :))( =)) :))( =)) :))( You crack me up!!! I asked for a raised toilet seat for Christmas but I didn't get one! As far as the car situation, I have a super-hot 1997 Honda Accord with the most horrible seat in the world. I have a pillow normally used for a bar stool and on top of that, I have one of those square, half donut shaped pelvic tilt pillows. It adds about 5-6" to my height in the car, which is a lot when you're 5'2"!!! :D Without my pillows, I wouldn't be able to drive... Now, getting in and out of the car is another situation, not sure about this one except to fight like I'm fighting for a championship belt, hahaha, =)) :D =)) :D =)) :D =))

Much love and understanding,
  • Okay ...you all are too funny...Love the jokes...

Meydey....years ago i had an injection done on my lower spine called (sp) Chimo papayne injection.
    It was a mixture of the papya fruits enzymes and some other stuff...can't remember it was so long agao...they do not practice these injuections any more, but If I remember correctly they were to deteriorate the disc and then the spine would eventually fuse...Now I could be way off on this treatment, but the only reason I mention it is because I totally remember how hard it was to take care of the smalles tasks...

Recenlty in the last 5 years I have had many more surgeries...some on my arm and nerves and some on my neck.

I amnot a medical doctor, but it has been my experience that the nerves can sometimes hurt worse during their repairing process. Sometimes the damage is done and they are left to permanent damage...

I have found that many times I experience som new pains and then get concerned the same as you...Oh no somethingis seriously wrong!!!! ( that would be my head talking) I usually just call and talk wit the docotr/surgeon and inquire about the pains if they are persistent...Most every time they have dissiapated after surgeries....but....it takes forever!!! I think I wastold once or twice maybe even thre times by many docs that after 18 months from the release of trapped nerves ...what pain your experienceing after that 18 months is probably what you will be left with....
    I know that seems like a long time but plese don't give up hope that over the next 10 months your nerves may have had more time to get better....

As far as the liffted potty seat...I wish I had had one of those back when i had my lower spine probs....

Now I can not even ride in a car low to the ground...My car accident has forever scared me and I sometimes do not even feel comfy in my small SUV. I am a truck person....just can not aford one at this time and day....
    needing a booster seat to see over the hood though is funny....likethe old phone book trick...lol
    It has been a very long time since the work in my lower back and I have had no more nerve pains shooting down my legs and bitticks and no more numb toes...so I must have got lucky with the procedure they did way back when....

I hope you will be feeling beter soon!
  • Sorry that does sound annoying. i know from my own experiances it's hard to depend on other people too. i began to feel like i was bothering everyone. i am here if you would like to talk.
    I do hope you have loving people in your life.
  • We all have to make the ones that will hopefully make life easier for us. You guys are probably like me- it gets old asking for this and that. You want to get up and do things for yourself, but it's hard sometimes because it hurts to even get up. I hope you all have caring and patient family and friends that are there to help on a long term basis.
  • why make my life difficult?

Soft seats are awful.
    I have adapted my sofa with firm sponges and a board and it is now the tallest sofa you have ever seen and firm and comfy!

I love it!

Kids eh? Classic!
This discussion has been closed.