Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

muscle damage

cla_guaccla_gua Posts: 186
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I read a lot of post where there is perminent nerve damage. Is it possible to have perminent muscle damage? Do the muscle stop spasming after surgery? Just wondering do to my constent muscle spasms.

large bulge c5-6
small bulges c6-7 and c7-t1

• I have muscle atrophy from the nerve damage, not sure but that could be the same. PT told me no matter how much I exercise, even if I could, my arms would never tone up like they use to be.

• It sounds like you haven't had surgery yet? The muscle spasms should improve after surgery, but: If you have had surgery, you may be like me. I had constant, severe muscle spasms after ACDF surgery (X3). Diagnosed with "post laminectomy syndrome, cervical" which basically means "worse after surgery". It turns out the muscle spasms are due to trigger points. I am now getting trigger point injections with botox and active release therapy which has immensely helped with the spasms. I still have a lot of pain, but is improving with this treatment. You can find more if you look up chronic myofascial pain or let me know and I can give you more info.
  • Well I was wondering what they might do with me and the never ending spasms my shoulders seem to be in. I've been doing PT. Taking pain meds and finally am now on Soma. Which does actually give me some relief for a while. I've been looking into trigger points and even ordered a book about it so that I could learn more about it. But now you've enlightened me some because I've been clueless about what the next step might be since having had surgery back in Oct.
  • To Tonya - well I hope that helps point you in the right direction. Let me know if you want more info - it may not be easy to find someone to do Botox (actually my Dr. uses Myobloc, which is similar)injections and it is not usually covered by insurance. Good luck!
  • Believe me I've considered everything. At this point I'd do just about anything to stop the vicious cycle of muscle spams. However, If I'm going to pay for botox shots I want them in my forehead so I could stop looking my age. :D This book suggests myotherapy??? I'd never heard of it either. Have you ever tried it?
  • I've thought of getting an appointment with a dermatologist the same day as my physiatrist and getting injections both places with the botox (lol). Myotherapy is mentioned in the book I have too. I looked it up on the internet, and it seems like it is similar to active release therapy. I think there are several trigger point therapy techniques out there and I am not sure which is best. I am going to my therapist because he was recommended by my doctor (many Physical Therapists will only treat you if you have a referral from an M.D.) and he has helped me a lot - he has my confidence. I'm sure the others work as well. And you could always try myotherapy and if you don't get enough relief, then try Botox. Please let us know what you try and how it works.