Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How do you browse the forums?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,065
Its been a little over 6 months since the 'Big Move'. In the beginning there was somewhat of an uproar about how to use the forums, the lack of features/functions and so many other things. I would say that for the most part, those items have quieted down either because people have adjusted or we have helped come up with different ways.

But overall, one of the more difficult and yet most flexible is how you browse these forums. There are different ways to approach this and I am curious how people are doing this.

Right now, my main browsing style is to get into the forums and then go over to my stuff and then start with
View Recent posts. I created that view a while ago in attempt to come up with a method that so many of us were used to on the old forums. To me, the first thing I want to see is what has been changed since my last visit. This view does provide that, but its format is not all that thrilling and its hard at times to determine which category and forum topic the post was made from.

Then there are other times when I just start at the bottom of the forum category list and start viewing up.

Please share your technique for viewing.

You can talk about the good ways you do it, the ways that it frustrates you or whatever.
Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement

Comments

• I read from recent posts but it's hard to catch up on all of them. That's why I think if someone has a topic that no one posted or answered them they should bump it to the top. It's hard to keep up unless you're here 24/7. I try to answer all that I can relate to but there's so many! I'm excited since I joined here because I was so alone with my symptoms and chronic pain. Thanks all who created this website and everyone who maintains it. I hope I didn't get too off topic. I read mostly recent posts. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I look at the New Posts so that I can look across all of the forums and see what's new in any of them. I just wish the who's online wouldn't disappear when I do that. I'm a frequent visitor which might make a difference. If I'm looking for something specific like an answer about my ACDF I would go straight to the back/neck surgeries forum.
  • My stuff is a fantastic tool! What drives my choice of starting place, is whether or not I am participating in a thread that I want to keep a close eye on. If that's the case, since there's no "subscribe to this thread" option, I use View my points to follow that thread. Otherwise I will generally start with View recent posts. Every once in a while I will go to a specific forum, but that's more of a rarity.

I agree with Tonya that it would be nice to have Who's online displayed in View recent posts

Thanks

"C"
  • :) haglandc, but we have "who is on line" right next to the forum page. how could that work any better? Jenny :)
  • well here is the way i do it:

1. view recent posts
    2. whos online
    3. whos in chat

ive never used my stuff but going to have a go with it.

LOVE P
  • first go to View Recent Posts under My Stuff. After that, I view individual forums to make sure I haven't missed anything. Occasionally I look at My posts, my buddy posts, etc. But I usually stay really busy just with View Recent Posts and individual forums. I don't mind to go clear out to page 9 and beyond with View Recent Posts because I don't want someone's post to disappear if no one had a chance to answer it.

Cheri
  • Go to View Recent Posts and look to your left. While on that page, you will only be able to view Top Pain Topics, Forum Navigation, and Quick Find.

"C"
  • I head over to the neck pain forum, browse through the first page of threads and if there is anything I can help with, I will post there. Next I click on back pain and surgery and do the same thing. Then I scroll down to matters of the heart to see what's new.

I seldom use the view recent posts. The only time I visit the other forums is if there is a title listed on the left side under new forum topics that I think I can relate to.

I seem to be the minority here in the way I browse the boards. I don't like having so many different forums to check out, so I just stick with 2 or 3 that I can relate to.

Cindy

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • It doesn't list all names of who's online for me. It will say there are 22 people but only show me about 8 names. Is there a way to click and see a list of all the names online?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,065
    Its not the greatest display. By default Drupal (Forum software) displays only 10 names. It can be configured to show more. I've tested with 50 names, which will show more, but then the display window gets longer and longer.

Dont even ask about what Guests are.. I've explained this in several different forum topics, but honestly even my best attempts in explaining guests can get a bit obtuse.
  • I just thought it was people that were viewing the site but weren't actual members. Is that right. Hey are your smiley icons in the wrong spot today? My are below reply and run into the subject line of the reply so it cuts off the bottom row of smilies.
    verifying this about the smilie area. I noticed it first thing this morning along with other mis-alingments. I brought this forward to development and they reassured me it was happening only on Admin type member names. You have been the first regular member to report this. I will go back to development.

Now, Guests. on other Forum software GUESTS are what you say. People that are looking at the site, not registered but viewing what they can.

Here on Drupal, GUESTS also include transactions. For instance, your MING member name by just logging on is one GUEST, and then depending on how long you stay on and what pages you visit, you create additional GUESTS.
    Also the system itself will create GUESTS.

This is why at times you will see something like
    20 members online and 750 Guests.
  • hi ron,
    remember on the old sh we all watched as the number off members grew......well i think that is really missed here now.
    it kind of made you feel more a part of sh.
    ok just my thought.

LOVE P
    understand that. I followed those numbers all the time.
    Thats how Paulgla's Almost 8000 members forum got started.
    We have over 8,000 members here on this site, but with the forum software, that information is not displayed. I've been looking for where that number is kept, havent found it yet, but I will still keep on looking.

Little things like a growing number do make you feel more part of the overall picture. Not just the number, but its members like yourself who are supportive and help so many, when you see the number grow, internally you have to realize that you play a role in more and more people registering to use Spine-Health
  • Ron,
    I too see the smileys lined up wrong, I think I noticed it started yesterday.

As far as using the forum, I generally check the "View Recent Posts" area.
    Jay
  • Nice picture Ron lol. Just wanted to let you know that my smileys are still out of whack today. I guess it just goes with my motivation level today lol. The way they figure the guests is out of whack too. That seems very odd.

Have a great day and hope to see my smileys realign again so my motivation level will realign where it should be =))
  • Okay, yes the smilies are out of whack for me too.

But I thought I'd tell you how I browse the forums. I do it like Cindy, I go to the forums that I care about (ones that pertain to me, or where I think I will find info or can provide info), and start looking at the first page, and sometimes subsequent pages (especially for the threads that are very active - like Surgery).
advertisement