Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question for any spondy sufferers out there....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Lower Back Pain
Ok, so I have grade 2 spondy at L5-S1...have had it for most of my adult life (I'm 43yo). I just had an updated MRI (open) on my lumbar spine, and it indicated severe degenerative changes in the disc at that level. My previous MRI (done a year and a half ago) showed very little to no disc height left at L5-S1, so I'm guessing that it's pretty much bone on bone right now. When looking at the MRI images and also at x-rays that I've had done...the vertebral slippage is clear as day (quite freaky-looking if I might add). My question has to do with more of a physical deformity (for lack of a better term) in my lower back area. I have a fairly large boney protrusion in the L5-S1 region. It's more prominent when I bend forward...it literally sticks out through my clothing...I jokingly tell people that it's my "tail". }:) But in all honesty, it can be quite painful...especially lying on rigid, flat surfaces. Even well-padded gym benches bother me. I find that I have to use a folded over yoga mat, to cushion that boney protrusion...otherwise it's excruciating. I've been told that this boney protrusion is actually my S1...however, after looking at my MRI images...I'm not convinced. Nowhere on the images, does it look like my S1 is even close to protruding as much as it does. Do any other spondy sufferers have a similar boney protrusion on their lower back? Does this sound like it is my S1, as I've been told? If not, what else could it possibly be? I've had this boney protrusion for as long as I can remember...even before I became symptomatic from my spondy. Thanks for any insight!

• I've got a 1 at that level and the PT person keeps massaging the heck out of it saying that it's "knotted up"! don't think she ever has gotten it down though! :* now wish the ortho would keep me on that pt sure miss the massage! hope you're feeling better soon!
  • Well...what I've got can definitely NOT be characterized as "knotted up". It's definitely bone that is protruding outward...sometimes it feels like it's going to burst right through my skin...especially when I bend over at the waist..you can actually see it popping through my clothes. :O

I'd feel a whole lot better, if I knew for sure that it was my S1...but I'm having a hard time believing that it is.

• is very low down and i am having trouble visualising you bending forward with S1 popping out.

My head can't see how it is possible.

Is your slip a backwards one??

Did you ahve flexion extension Xrays - shows the slip worse.
  • itsalongwalk said:
    is very low down and i am having trouble visualising you bending forward with S1 popping out.

My head can't see how it is possible.

Is your slip a backwards one??

Did you ahve flexion extension Xrays - shows the slip worse.

Hi...my slip is forward (traditional spondylolisthesis). The MRI's and x-rays that I've had done clearly show the L5 slipped forward over the S1. I don't have flexion/extension x-rays, but may consider having them done just to see if it explains anything.

I understand completely how it's hard to visualize...I keep thinking the same thing...that the S1 is way lower than where this bone is protruding. It truly is a mystery to me.
This discussion has been closed.