Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just got home today

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all. I just got home today at about 1:00 PM from the hospital. I had a 1 level TLIF at L4-L5 on Tuesday 1/6. Most of the first day was a blurr. The surgery took about 3 hrs. and I guess about an hour and a half in recovery. Our neighbor and good friend happens to be the Head of Vascular Surgery at the hospital I was in so we got a little VIP treatment on some things. Although I don't know if that's all good sometimes since as soon as they brought me in to recovery my neighbor brought my wife in to see me. According to wife maybe that wasn't the best of ideas :jawdrop: . I guess after laying face down for all that time my face was realy swolen and I look like I went 9 rounds with Mike Tyson 8} .
I was not supposed to get up and do any walking until the next morning, but I tend to push my self in life so I asked the nurse if I could get up and walk a little. She got me a walker and helped me to get out of bed. I did 1 lap around the floor that I was on and I was happy with that. Each of the following days got better. After the 2nd night they took me off the Morphine drip and put me back on the Oxycontin 30mg that I was on before the surgery. They left the Morphine pump connected for break through. I didn't get much relief from the Morphine anyway, it just made me drowsy. Yesterday they disconnected the pump and gave me 2 Percoset for break through. During all of this they also gave me Valium for the muscle spasms.
Now I am home and it feels great. I am so happy to done with the surgery. It was realy starting to get to me after a while and now I don't have any of the pre-surgery pain just the surgical pain which is tough but bearable. I am very optimistic about the outcome and can't wait to have my life back. I wanted to post this because I felt that I learned so much and gain a lot of support on this board so I just wanted to give back a little. To all of you who are yet to have surgery, good luck it will get better, and for all of you who have been down this road already, thank you for prepairing me for my journey.

• Good for you, I am happy you are doing well. Take it easy and ask for help when you need it. It's good to see posts from those of us who did well so soon after surgery. Keep up the good work.
  • Just take it easy though. Sounds like you might be one of those that will over do it. So just don't. OK? Promise?
  • But don't over do it and don't fall like I did! almost 5 weeks post-op I fell from one step on my slick deck and it was enough to sprain my ankle and put me in an air cast. Naturally I'm worried about my neck operation so please-be careful and let yourself heal totally before doing anything that may put you back square one (or 2) :) I know you feel better-and I'm happy for you, but your operation is still fresh.
    Take care!
  • Your right I am one of those that tend to over do it and I can't stand the feeling of helplesness. Having other people doing everything for me is tough, but I am going to try. Besides my wife is on my case that I'm doing too much and she really does want to help so I guess I should let her. I'm so lucky that I have her.
  • Muggsy, Im so happy to hear of your outcome, sounds like the worst is over and your on the path to recovery and a pain free life. I know thats what Im anticipating with my Jan 3oth surgery. I can sympathize with you on the "over doing" it part. Being a wife and mom of 3 Im constantly doing something, and have no idea of what it means to rest, im afraid that part of the recovery is going to drive me absolutley crazy ! Continued success on your recovery =D>
  • So glad your surgery was a success and you are home recovering. However, a good way to get your wife on your bad side real quick is to continue overdoing it. I know from experience, sadly. Hubby had to sit me down with tears his his eyes and explain how I made him feel, how scared he would get, that I would do something stupid that would impact our lives forever. OUR lives, not just mine. Because of course, our spouses have to take care of us while we are in pain/recovering, they have to pull more weight around the house when we are down, etc. Until he had that talk with me, I thought the best thing I could do was push myself so I could get better. IT was not.

I realized I didn't need to be scaring my husband and making hime feel like he couldnt' leave me unattended since I wasn't behaving. We had a rough spot, but are through it now.

Continue your awesome recovery but take it easy for your wife's sake if you don't personally care one way or the other!! lol

• Muggsy I am also one that hates for someone to do every little thing for me. I am glad that your surgery went well and you are now recovering. Take care and becareful not to over do it. I have a friend that her mom had back surgery and since she felt fine she decided to go walking from her house to her daughters alone and ended up falling and undoing what the doctor did.