Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hey there from the U.P. of Michigan!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in New Member Introductions
:D Well I be here! Got lot's of back stuff going on, just like the rest of you guys! Read through some stuff but have a question or two. Went to the doc because of hip pain when walking, had xray nothing wrong with hip. Started to get pain down the FRONT of the leg went to Orthapedic guy got xray of back collapsed disc. Went to SURGEON for MRI Have Severe Degenerative disc disease L2-3 with collapse, Degenerative left lumbar scoliosis, Right lateral recess and foraminal stenosis L2-3, Grade 1 isthmic spondylotlisthesieas at L5-S1. Can't walk most of time w/o pain shooting BUT have good days where not so bad just pain in right hip unless I do something like twist. Doc says I not be "disabled" enough to stay off work BUT says I should have surgery to "improve my quality of life". Me knows I can't handle work so have been off but what next? I need to decide if I should get the surgery or not..that he recommends, that is fusion at L2-3 and L5-S1. Have had "back pain" for 3-4 yrs and ignored it now I can't hardly walk! I need to get a doc to say I should be off work untill I make up my mind on surgery..any ideas? thanx

• Wow, small world. I am up in the UP too. Where ya located at? Who you seeing for a DR? I just started down the road to other Drs. Have been using the VA up until this point. If you wanna chat or get together to have coffee or whatever pm me your number and I am sure if we are close enough we can hook up. Just joined myself and my intro is the new guy from Michigan.

Maybe we can help each other stumble through this stuff.
  • Thanx for replying, of course us U.P. ers gotta stick together! Will try and PM you when I'm a little less tired! thanx again.
  • Get another opinion or two. Surgery does not always guarantee pain relief and can sometimes worsen the pain. It is always best to try every conservative treatment available unless you are risking permanent nerve damage. It is always best to get 2 or 3 opinions when it comes to your spine. Have you tried a Pain Management doc yet? Most PMs have lots of conservative treatments that they can try and can usually give you pain meds to help with the pain. Good luck and please keep us posted.