Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How Do I Get Help When Doctors Just Don't Listen??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
:''( I have had DDD and osteoarthritis since 2003 have seen many doctors for this condition in my L4,L5,& S1. They all want to give me Loratabs and predisone, that of course do not work. When I tell them they put me on multiple other narcotics that do not work either. I have no insurance and no quality of life per say. I cannot walk, stand or sit. I'm 47 and cannot even pick up my grandbabies..I went back to college this last year and graduated with a total 4.0 GPA thanks to very understand professors. I want to go to work and I am about to see a new orthopedic who specializes in back disorders. How can I get him to really help me???

• I understand that you have no insurance but is there any way that you could see a PM doc? They offer other treatments besides surgery and pain meds. The best help that I ever got was from my PM. In the 2 years that I suffered before I found him, I was just like you. On multiple pain meds that did not work only made me sleep alot. I could not walk, sit or stand either. Rhizotomys were what ended up helping me the most. It may be different for you but normally if the treatments do not work they will at least help you find a med that might. Could be that you have nerve pain and need a nerve pain med. Regular pain meds don't work for nerve pain. Maybe you need opiates. These are just some of the things that a PM may try. I have seen many that have not been able to get proper pain relief from orthos, etc. These types of docs normally want to either do surgery or send you for PT, etc, most do not want to medicate you. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
    BTW - That arthritis that you have may be in your facet joints and be what is giving you the most problems sitting, standing, walking. That is one of my issues and exactly what my doc does a rhizotomy for.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i can feel that you are indeed suffering. ~X( i hope it brings you some comfort to find others who feel just as bad as you do. be honest with your pm. i am using Lyrica for nerve pain and am having good results with it. <:P i would suggest to anyone who has nerve pain or sciatica that they try it. your doctor should offer you this option. :-C good luck as you search for pain relief. Jenny :)
  • I had an mri in hand and went to see a reputable neuro in my area, he looked at the mri and declared that my pain was from my tail bone. That contradicted what the mri showed. He then took his thumb and shoved it against my tail bone so hard that I was in additional pain for days. He sent me to one of his partners his the office.

This doctor looked at the same mri and the his partner's notes and this one declared it to be my hip. Again, contradicting the mri. He set me up for a shot in my hip. It hurt like H#$$ and caused me additional pain for weeks. I was scheduled to see him a month later. When I said it didn't help he gave me shots in my facets to numb them to see if it helped. It did somewhat, so he then did steroid shots in my facets and it lasted about a month. When it wore off I made an appointment to go see him again and he told me there was nothing else he could do for me. Hello?????

So I went to see another neuro. He was a Nazi. He again did the numbing shots to the facets. It helped somewhat. So then he did radiofrequency to my 4 facet joints. It helped but it wasn't the major source of my pain, so I was still in pain. When I told him, he yelled at me that I was just after drugs and that I needed psychological counseling.

So I went to see another neuro who looked at my mri and said my I had DDD in 2 disc, in addition to the facet problems. Well imagine that, a neurosurgeon who could read an mri! Thank you Jesus! It took me 2 years and 4 doctors to get a one of them to look at my mri and address the major cause of my pain.

I know you don't have insurance but you have to keep looking for someone to help you. Hopefully a PM doctor can help you. Have you had a epi? Honestly, that gave me more relief than drugs. I still needed low dose narcotics with the epi. The problem with epi is they don't last you have to keep getting them. I eventually got a fusion and will probably need another fusion.

Don't give up.

Best wishes,
  • Now that you finally your diagnosis, perhaps they can send you to pain mgt. to get your pain under control. I have severe DDD among other problems in L4-S1. I did have a 2 level fusion to help with that, and the other problems but it continues to hurt badly. I hope you are able to get treated for this painful condition. Take care
  • Welcome to the forum my dear. I understand what you are going thru. I too had and still have no insurance so i went to a county clinic which was in California when i lived there. The doctors tried to give me the run-a-round and talk down to me but i put a stop to that right-a-way. I turned them into "patient relations" and they put a stop to the way they were treating me. #:S

They kept telling me they would let me know when they would operate on my next appt. and each time i go for the "next" appt. they would say the same thing and not in a nice way,soooooooooooooooo ~X(

I had a little trouble in the hospital with nurses as well but i fixed that before leaving!

I am so proud of you for going back to college and with a 4.0! >:D< Here's a hug!

I wish i could be of some help! Hang in there and never say "quit"!!BTY, the state paid for all my medical bills because i had no money.

Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,845
    is our own hands. Getting doctors to understand our problems is not always what is going on. Many times its a question of communications. I am not saying that you are not communicating with your doctors, but perhaps there is something that is missing.
    I have faith in our medical society and believe that for the most part every doctor will do whatever is necessary to help a patient. But sometimes they just dont understand what our problems are. Thats not an excuse, but just a thought that IF our doctors do not understand what we are saying or feeling then we need to explain it so they do understand.
    Then if they still dont, then its time to seek another doctor
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com