Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Meds Question

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Pain Medications
I'd like your opinion on this. My Pain Management Doctor wants me to go on oxycotin, being that I have pain around the clock. I'm currently taking oxycodone 25mg every 3 to 4 hours. I'm leary of this because you hear so many bad things about oxycotin, but I also know that it could be a good medication when it's used for it's purpose. So, my question is.....does anyone have experience with this drug and if so does it work good for you and do you think it's better to be on a time release drug, rather than fast action.
Thank You for your input

• Buy edited cheap pain fioricet buy online pain edited edited.

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Edited by moderator paulgla
  • another medication before upping the dose and moving to ER?
    Just an idea.
  • I just switched from vicodin 10 mg 4-5 times a day to oxycotin 10 3 times and I like this better it's easier on the stomach because it has no asprin in it , that's also better on your liver too .I do sometimes need to take a half a vicodin for breakthrough pain but noe often. good luck with the new meds.
  • When you stay on the short acting meds, you become tied to the clock. Since the meds only works for a few hours, you start watching the clock waiting for the next time you can take one. That is what docs don't want.

By switching to any long-acting med, you will find you have no big surges or pain relief NOR period of time where you have none. Once you get on the right dose, you will be peaceful all day. Just have to remember 2 times - morning and night. It took my doctor several months to get me on the right dose, and she just move me up (this time to 3 times a day which is controversial). To cover you while they start you on the lower doses, most docs will continue to give you a breakthrough med for times when the oxycontin (or other LA med is not enough). Then when you go back for your visit, you report how it did, how many breakthroughs you needed.

My life did change once I switched to the oxycontin. Do not tell friends and family you are on it - just don't. There's too much crud in the media, which is already worrying you. As a chronic pain patient in pain management, trust your doctor that they have determined you to be a candidate. Think positively in the sense that now you won't be taking an unreasonable amount of the short acting meds.

It does take an adjustment at first, and don't be shy about taking the breakthroughs. But you will be very glad in the end.

I have had no side effects, other than when I got to 30 mg, I started having major constipation. Prior to that, no problems. I started drinking more juice and taking Miralax and that took care of it.

My husband noticed my mood evened out - I was no longer getting those "Wow, I feel good for a few hours on Percocet.....oh now it wore off when can I take another one cranky Cheri". I don't know if you feel you are that way, but you might ask your family for an honest answer to that one. All we seem to know is we want and need pain relief.

Good luck!! And try to put that media crud about oxycontin out of your head. You are being followed and treated by pain management - you will be fine.

Take care,

• is entended release, time release and long acting all the same?
  • ER to me means extended relief, timed relief, and long acting relief all in one. There are a few "ER" medications that are reportedly not as advertised and the dosages adjusted according to patients needs. For ME MS Contin ER is not as advertised.

There are also those who refer to ER as Emergency Room which we've all experienced @ one time or another.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    scary, it can helpful, it has received a lot bad press, there are so many things associated with Oxycontin. The best thing is to know more about this pain medication.

I was on it for about two years, starting at relatively high dosage (40mg 3x day) till the point where I was using 1 10mg every 4th day till NONE.
    My Pain management doctor wanted to make sure I slowly came off Oxycontin. I did and had zero negative effects. I only came off when it was time, when I knew and my pain management doctor knew I could start to stop using Oxycontin.

While I was using it, it was very effective. Between that and Oxycodone IR 5mg for breakthrough, I was able to get through the days and manage my pain. The only thing I did notice about using Oxycontin ER, was my body 'knew' when it was time for the next pill. I would take my first around 7:30am and then around 6:00pm I knew it was getting time. First sign, my hands started to get cold. People who touched my hands said they were frozen. No shakes, just started to get tingling from my thoracic down into my legs.
    Took the next dosage and I was good until around bedtime and thats when the breakthrough came in handy.

To see the differences between some of the major pain medications and understand more about Oxycontin, please
    take a look at this thread:

Oxycontin / Oxycondone / Oxycodone

And for a snapshot at almost every medication out there,
    please look at what one of our Moderator's {Bruce) put together

Medication 101 for Spine Patients
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Are much safer to be on long term than short acting. They will not damage your organs like the fast acting.