Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Radiation-Induced Fibrosis And Neuropathy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
For the past 3 + months, I am experiencing daily pain from the radiation-caused fibrosis of my left paraspinal muscles (thoracic and upper lumbar sections T-2 to L-2) and neuropathy damages to the various nerves in those areas. I started pain management therapy, at the clinic - starting Dec. 19, 2008. At the Dec. 19th visit to the pain -management clinic, the doc gave me an Rx for anti-depressant med - to sleep better. On Jan. 22, 2009, he will start epidural-corticosteroid injections on my back paraspinal muscles.

The radiation therapy was for several series 3-4 years ago at those locations, as I have metachronous soft-tissue sarcoma (rare cancer) since 2000.

The paraspinal muscles are rigid as a board for ~ 14 inches,
and I can't stand up straight. Plus the pain is 5-8 on the scale. When I sleep, there is little or no pain - due to the muscles are not depressed and sqeezing the nerves. When I am upright, the weight of my body contracts the muscles and sqeezes the nerves, etc.

This is a "rare" late effect of radiation therapy, but people have it. The prognosis is not positive - not at my age - 77.

What a life....... :(

• I'm so sorry you have struggling with this. That sounds really painful. I hope your injections coming up help your rigid muscles and allow more mobility.

Welcome to Spine Health- feel free to visit and vent or whatever will help you through. We all understand in one way or another. I myself suffer permanent S1 nerve damage after 3 back surgeries and spend 23 hours a day reclined because any activity that triggers my S1 nerve causes massive pain flares. Just got my spinal cord stimulator Monday, so I am hoping, like you, to get some of my mobility back. Would love to be able to be a better wife and mother and at age 42, I just refuse to give up!! Wouldn't that be great for both of us?!

Take care,