Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Odds of another surgery

adambaadamb Posts: 46
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
SO I had fusion surgery in March of 08, things were going well but recently within about 8 weeks of each other I have had episodes of increased Pain in Hips/Legs and across the glute Medius both sides. I had MRI on Friday and now I am wondering how common is it to go back into surgery after L4/5 fusion within 1 year. I also noticed a boney pertrusion (sp) right below were the fusion was, just recently.

• My thoughts and prayers are with you as you wait for your results. Hopefully everything will be ok, :)
  • ....common symptoms..oh oh....

I just sent you a PM.
    I see my NS on Wed for my 1 yr check up & you've described exactly what I have now, for about the same time lately...just recently increase in hip/leg/butt & retrun of original sciatca... + that bony protrusion...what gives?!

I'll let you know what he says if you tell me what your MRI reads, LOL!

Anyone: Seriously, what IS that "bony protrusion" right below the fusion site??? Mine looks like a Bic pen, just off to the left of my L4/5 site, parallel....hard as a rock.
    It can't be my hardware, as it's below it (I think)

I must be going nuts!

Thanks Adam!

• don't think it's necessarily common, but I had 3 surgeries in one year. My second surgery was a fusion, but without instrumentation. My facet joint broke off during that surgery (although not mentioned and not told to me) and I had over-rotation and shearing of my spine until a neurosurgeon fixed me with a 360 PLIF, this time with cages, screws, rods and BMP.

I hope you don't have to have surgery again, but am sorry you are suffering additional pain and have mystery bone showing on the MRI.

Take care,

• Good luck in finding out the issue. Hopefully its nothing major, your fusing and all is going well.
    What your describing could also be SI joint pain. I was getting that a few months before my 1 yr.
    After the injection I felt so much better. Those things can cause havic on ya believe me!! Not saying thats what it is by no means..

Let us know what the dr thinks and how the MRI results come out..

Terri O:)
  • Jeez, that sucks! Thankfully my Neuro did a 360 with cages, screws, and BMP right off the bat for me. (Well, after a MicroD, but it was the first fusion) I don't think I could ever let a doctor do a fusion without instrumentation... Not now. Before I wouldn't have known, but after using this site for a bit, I think we've all got a wealth of information!
  • It isn't all that common to have a second fusion within a year of the first. Not common at all, actually. Within 5 to 10 is normal.

Terri is right, it could be SI joint pain, and that's probably what it is. Most people who have fusions have SI joint pain at some point... It can be quite similar to the pain of a herniated disc and DDD with a pinched nerve.
  • Hi Adam, at my last checkup I asked my surgeon what the incidence of adjacent disc disease was after fusion of my L4-5. He said I have a 10-15% chance of needing additional surgery within the next 3-5 years, then add 3% additional risk per year after that. He said that is per the literature, but he personally thinks it is less. I have intermittent bouts of right hip/glute/leg sciatic type pain. So far it always has gone away on its own. I also get SI joint pain, which can be the SI joints or it can be from the L5-S1 disc level, which kinda worries me. Time will tell. Once a Spiney, always a Spiney :) Good luck to you, hopefully it will just resolve itself. >:D< Cali-Sue
  • For my particular situation, I was told my chances of needing another fusion within the next 5 years was 33 percent. BUT, seeing as how I am so young... Within the next 10 years or so we're all pretty sure I'll be having another. But what can ya do?
  • The boney protrusions you see-is that from your observation or from the radiologist's report? If it is from radiologist's report, consider asking your doctor if you had BMP during surgery and if it could be bone growth from the BMP in the wrong location.

I hope the best for you, keep us updated!

• What is a BMP i dont think it is but I dont know. It is my observation on the bump below surgery around S1 maybe. It feels like at fusion site it is indented a little and then at top of surgery site it kind of sticks out not to noticable unless you touch it and the bottom of the surgery site it feels more boney pertrusion. I did have a cyst removed during my last fusion which was new to me until I got the report like 4 weeks later. It was a big bump on the L4 area and all the Dr.'s I had seen kept telling me it was no big deal that it was normal. One Dr. even said it is ok it's the Backs way of protecting itself, whatever that mean :^o X(