Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lodaderm patches

crashhccrashh Posts: 40
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Chronic Pain
So, I now have lidaderm patches. Has ne1 heard of them and or used them for the leg pain/nerve pain. Do they work?? Are they dangerous? Do they help. I was thinking of asking for fetanol patches would that be a good idea. I wake in the middle of the of the nite actually screaming in pain. I still have complete numbness in my right leg from my hip almost down to the middle of my calf. please give me some opinions people, thanks again for everything. Also I was thinking of asking for oxycontin for after my surgery. What kind of meds do they give you after a 2 level fusion.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    I used these patches for almost 2 years. You can use up to 3 patches at one time for about 12 hours.
    In the beginning, I didnt notice any pain relief from using these on my neck, thoracic or back areas. They seem to be more for directing pain relief at the area, so in terms of overall pain relief, I am not sure.
    I did get relief from them after a while. Many times, I would cut the patches into 3 and wound up have about 10-12 cut up patches at different parts of my spine.
    Give them a try, they are safe and I did see any problems during the time I was using them.

In terms of fetanol patches or asking for oxycontin, that is something that your doctor will determine when/if you need that. Different doctors will prescribe different pain medications after surgery, 1, 2 or 3 level fusions
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Ron is right. Depends on what the dr thinks approriate after your fusion. Sometimes they want you on a lesser med as they fixed the issue.
    I only got sent home with percocets and I was already on valium and soma so that worked out just fine.
    Depends on what you are on now also. Discuss this with them before they discharge you. So you are set when your home...

As things like oxycontin and fent patches I know in my area only pain managment drs perscribe those.

As for the lidoderm they help my shoulders a great deal. But I did have to use them for awhile before I noticed a difference.
    I still have them here and once in awhile I will put them on my lower back if I am out and about somewhere.
    Also I found something a bit cheaper the therma care wraps are heaven sent. They last for hours. Downfall is they are expensive for just 2 in a box!! But the heat it heaven.
    After surgery what helped me also was lots of ice packs. The gel reusable ones you throw in the freezer. Numbs your pain so you can relax..

Good luck and let us know how you make out! O:)
  • I have been on lidoderm patches too,and they do work by numbing the skin,,i have used them for my lower back...
  • I appreciate your time. I did use the patches overnight and it was the only night I did not wake up screaming in pain. The percocets do almost nothing of rmy pain. I thought if I used them for a few weeks that it would start helping but no. So they are going to have to give me something stronger for my pain. I will see my PM doc on jan 26.
  • they did help me with prominent hardware where the hardware was separating with the spine and close to the skin. I would be careful, made me feel very dizzy when on longer then directed. They are also dangerous for pets so you should tape them just in case if you have pets.
This discussion has been closed.