Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to this group

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in New Member Introductions
I've never joined an online group before, but while searching for answers to some questions, I wandered to this site and liked what I read. I'm 44 years old, married, 4 boys, and have a busy, active lifestyle. I herniated my L5 disc last August, and have been in varying degrees of pain ever since. No meds have worked, only regular chiropractic adjustments and moving from running, hiking and yoga to bike riding and core workouts on a balance ball. Considering surgery, but don't want to trade the pain of the herniated disc for the pain of scar tissue. Which brings me to the original question, which is "Is pain from scar tissue considerable, and are there ways to alleviate it?"

• and welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for support and understanding. Our members are the absolute best.

As far as scar tissue goes and whether or not it is a problem , well , that will vary for each individual. We are all different and heal differently. I don't seem to have problems with scar tissue at this time but my husband who has had 3 back surgeries , a little over 10 years ago , does suffer from scar tissue pain every once in awhile. Having surgery is a personal decision and I wish you the best of luck in making that decision...no one can make it for you but you....you know your body best.

Please keep us posted as to how you are doing and if there is ever anything that I can help you with then please just let me know...take care...Miki
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    Your member name is a 'comment' that many people have stated here over time. Anyone that has to deal with chronic pain associated with their spines has some dark moments from time to time.
    I would recommend talking with the doctor who read your report about your herniated L5 disc and ask them again for all of your options. Your post didnt go into any details, so its hard to make a lot of comments.
    The decision to have surgery or not is a very critical and important one to make. The best thing is to have all the information regarding your situation, the pros of not having surgery, the pros of surgery, then the cons of each.
    Manytimes, depending on the size of the herniation and how much it impinges a nerve route, non-surgical methods, conservative treatments may help.
    Some of these would be:
    - Physical Therapy
    - Aqua Therapy
    - Heat/Ice Therapy
    - Massage Therapy
    - Passive Traction
    - Acunpuncture
    - Ultrasound
    - Spinal Injections
    The one treatment I personally would not seek is having work done by a chiropractor. Once you damage a disc, some of the manipulations performed by chiropractors can cause more problems. Only those medical professionals that are completely qualified to work with spinal problems, disc problems, etc should work on patients with these problems.
    This is not to say your chiropractor is not qualified, but overall, most chiropractors are not that skilled in this area.

The fear from scar tissue needs to be weighed against relief from pain that you should get from surgery.
    But again, this is something you and your doctor are the ones to really discuss this.
    Here, we can provide personal advice based on our own experiences, but please always remember, members here at Spine-Health are not qualified trained medical professionals
    But we are here to provide a support group, we are hear to listen and we will bounce of ideas, suggestions about our own situations and how they may relate.

Good luck and I hope to see you around here posting.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I am so sorry that you are suffering with pain. Most of us here can definitely relate to that. However, please be careful with the chiropractic manipulations. The chiros actually made my back issues worse. They may be OK for minor aches and pains but I definitely would not get adjustments with an injury to the spine. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i think you have alot more to consider with surgery than just scar tissue. please do some homework on the forum and get a better idea of what a surgery is all about. i look forward to reading your posts. Jenny :)
  • I have a herniated disc at the same level. Have you seen an Ortho Dr. or Neurologist? If not you need a referral. I'm going to pain management Dr. for injections that have helped my leg pain alot and some facet joint pain also. I hope your okay with a Chiropractor he wouldn't touch me with my disc. But I had TENS and excercise there. I hope you're feeling better soon. I've been off awhile from work. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN