Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Progression of DDD

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I'm only stating my own experiences and pain related to DDD. My pain started in my left arm about 2 1/2 years ago. I sure don't remember exact dates. There wasn't anything specific that happened to me (accident).

At this point the pain goes from my left hand (I'm left handed), up my arm to my shoulder blade, across my neck and down my right arm to my right hand. My pain is still worse in my left arm-hand, but not much worse at this point.

I was diagnosed with DDD in my cervical spine at the end of June with bone spurs and stenosis to varying degrees throughout my cervical spine. My DO at that time thought that a surgeon would see my MRI and decide to do acdf c3 thru c6 or 7.

The surgeon my DO sent me to has a reputation for being the best. He has been doing Cervical Spine surgery for 26 yrs. He does move very cautiously and slowly in my experience with him. The first MRI I brought him he decided was not good quality (open MRI). He sent me for another MRI. That one he was happy with.

He then sent me to another neurosurgeon for a second opinion on exactly what surgery needs to be done. I see this surgeon this coming Tuesday (Jan 13th).

I never thought it would take this long before the surgeon settled on what surgery to do. I do know my pain has gotten significantly worse and spread as noted above. I feel I probably do have permanent nerve damage. I am 56 years old. I have Type 2 diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea. I know the diabetes puts me at greater risk for surgery complications (infections).

My LTD Claims Manager along with the medical professionals who work with me (including my DO and Internal Medicine Doctor) have suggested I may very likely end up on permanent disability. I am also 57 years old this coming March). All I can do is wait and see the outcomes.

Anyway, from what I can see progression of the disease is to be expected and common (albeit the rate of progression would vary greatly from individual to individual I'd imagine).

The increase in my pain just in the past month is no fun. I am on morphine ER (15 mg 2x a day), Lyrica (100 mg 3x a day), Vicodin 5/500 1x a day). The Vicodin I originally was taking 3x a day but was decreased to 1x a day. My DO said he did this so the surgical team would not have difficulty controlling my pain post-op.

Ken GreyEagle

• You're almost there. I hope the 13th brings you good news and relief from your pain.
  • Amazing to see your post. I was going to post, and ask how you are doing, and if your appt was re-scheduled. I'm so glad the weather finally seems to be co-operating finally. I hope this second opinion will finally give you the answers you need. And you can get your surgery scheduled soon, so you can stop any further injury to your spine. It's good that your LTD Claims manager is working with you, and will be a great advocate if you do end up disabled. So many have to fight with a claims person for help. Take care of yourself the best you can. Is your wife going with you to appt? I find it helps to have someone with you, who can remember all that is said. And with the driving!

Best wishes for a speedy resolution.