Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Pain

araineaaraine Posts: 151
Well guys, yesterday was a new one from me. I was in so much pain, I literally cried for hours! I think it's my sciatica? It started at the base of my spine in the pelvic area, then went to the front of my knees, then down and around to my angles and heel. It was a constant aching, stabbing pain. Not only was it constant, but then there was a sharper, stabbing stinging pain going through behind my knee. I have never been in this much pain before. I called my friend Wahini202 (Erica) just to describe the pain that I was in, because I needed support ASAP. I just don't know what to do anymore. I have no medications, no insurance, no money, and I see my Neurosurgeon next Friday. He still refuses to prescribe me anything but samples, and so far, NONE OF THEM HAVE WORKED! ~X(

I have tried message, heat, ice, a bath, hot rice, everything, nothing seems to help the pain. I feel like I want to die! (not literally) but you know. Please, help!

• I'm so sorry. I can't imagine dealing with that nerve pain with no meds. Not that the meds really help nerve pain, but it numbs our mind and helps us cope.

If I were you, I would get a piece of paper and start putting down everything that happened, what time, how you felt, what you did, how it restricted your activities and continue it until you see him. Obviously he's not much of a listener. But maybe he would appreciate a pain diary?

None of my neurosurgeons every prescribed anything stronger that Ultram unless it was just out of surgery. If I needed meds otherwise, it was from my family doc or finally pain management. Has this neurosurgeon not send you to pain management yet? I would make that a big part of your discussion, and if your pain hasn't calmed down by then, he may get to watch you cry through no fault of your own, as going to town, riding in a car, and then sitting in those uncomfortable chairs in the waiting rooms do me in almost every time.

Only thing that works for me (since my problem nerve is S1) is staying reclined and staying mentally distracted. Distraction is my GREATEST weapon. Have you looked at dermatome chart online to see what nerve this appears to be based on your burning pain pattern? Look up a dermatome chart, and look for the shaded areas where you feel the pain. This will let you know what nerve(s) are acting up.

Many gentle ( (HUGS ) )

• Thank you very much. I have been referred to a pain managment doctor, however I could not afford to go. I will however look up that chart. I have given him a pain diary, but it seems to be overlooked. I just don't know what to do.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    Amber, sometimes medications are needed just to get you 'over the hump' so to speak.
    I know you are in a tough position regarding insurance and prescriptions, so my best try would be in other conservative methods. (I know, you have tried almost all of them)

- Move around, dont sit/stand/lay in one position for any length of time.
    - Moist warm heat, showers/baths
    - Stretching
    - Relaxation techniques - Music/Candles/Aroma Therapy

Sciatic pain can at times get very intense, I wish there was something I could post that would be simpler solution for you.
    Good luck, I will keep thinking for/about you until you start to feel somewhat better

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Do you have A county Hospital in your area, they r usually free. And or they go by you income. Try and do some research,and find one in your area. Or you can apply for public Assist.. To get a Medical card.
    good Luck to you. And i hope you have some relief soon, the pain is no joke i have slept maybe 10 hours in the last 2 day. My pain is worse off than then the first surgery. And is getting worse!! I HAVE BEEN SITTING IN A HOT BATH TO EASE SOME OF MY PAIN, TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF.
  • :D hi! i am sorry you are in so much pain! please check out the "Health Insurance" forum with the sticky "teaching hospitals." it may be of some assistance to you. good luck as you search for pain relief. Jenny :D