Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone who lost weight noticed a lessening of back/leg pain?

kathyykkathyy Posts: 580
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
Just wondering. I'm 2 months post op PLIF and I still am fighting leg and foot "burning/tingling," esp. if I overdo. Am trying to get on a weight loss/exercise program and I think an extra incentive would be thinking that my symptoms might become more tolerable (without narcs)if I lost some weight.

Has anyone on this forum found that losing 10 plus pounds (I have about 20 that need to come off) has had the additional benefit of reducing pain/nerve symptoms??

• I have more than 20 lbs to lose ideally, but I look good at a weight most people would be shocked at. I also have skinny legs and bigger as you go up. Broad shoulders, busty, no real waist, etc. I take after my 6'5 dad and have broad shoulders, etc. lol No curves except for the chest.

With my weight distributed like that, it is all on top of L5-S1 nerve area. (I don't have curvy hips, definitely not pear shaped, no weight to lose from hips down.) I say I am shaped like a golf tee, but it's not THAT bad. lol But technically true.

So, when I was recently hospitalized with gallbladder issues, acute pancreatitis, etc. and lost almost 20 lbs, I looked really different and surgeon said it would probably be permanent weight loss - common with those health issues.

I noticed a little less pain in my legs, but I had so much other pain in my abdomen it was hard to really compare. And then I quickly got my spinal cord stimulator (SCS) before I had a really good chance to decide.

I know that I will be working hard to maintain that weight loss PLUS hopefully lose at least 10 more because it just makes sense to me that weighing less and having less weight to carry around above my problems disc area has to be helpful.

Good luck with your weight loss efforts!! My biggest problem was that until the SCS, if I walked or did much more than that, i had huge debilitating pain flares. I'm hoping the SCS gives me the ability to walk more at the very least.

Take care,

• Hi,
    Thats a tricky question.
    I know for some ppl yes it has taken some burden off the the nerve. Others no luck at all.
    Just before my first lumbar fusion I had fallen. I blew up to 193 that was in Jan of 07. By the time surgery was due 9/07 I was down to 163. That was due to so much pain that I could not eat and I was on some heavy duty narctoics.
    I did not feel a bit of difference in the pain level after the weight came off. I also would like to add I was not in good physical shape either as I was unable to do anything.
    So alot has to do with exercise/muscles and not just weight lose.
    Yes its documented that if you loose a few pounds it takes a few pounds of pressure of your knees etc. (ok going by the heart assoication commercial)..
    All you can do is try and see what happens.
    I know the buffest of people that still suffer. Some peoople have gotten into shape and it has helped tremendously.
    So it depends on the person and the degree of injury your having problems with..

Good luck!!!
    If you need encourgment and help there is a fourm going on here for weight loss. So everyone keeps everyone going!! <:P

Terri O:)
  • Boy oh boy. I'm looking for any and all motivation that I can find!!!!! This surgery has kicked my b##t in the dirt, so to speak. I know we all hate "used to be's" but I betcha I'm not the only one who thinks back on better, healthier years. I find myself fighting depression, esp on the days that I have a set back and hurt alot. That's not my typical personality. I really am generally optimistic.

I purchased a light weight treadmill (not motorized) on QVC-
    and used it today. Felt better afterwards. I love to walk but as I've gotten older, esp. after this surgery, I don't want to walk on cold days. I define cold is 45 deg or less.

I plan on using it every morning in an attempt to begin to get in shape again. Then, once I get back on track with exercise, I will officially begin to diet. One thing at a time!! I usually don't follow "strict" diets but kinda count points like weight watchers.

I think losing some weight can't hurt my pain level and might help my self-image issues.
This discussion has been closed.