Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

can a physical therapist push you too hard?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Exercise and Rehab
I went to p.t. last week and my physical therapist was trying to figure out what made my pain worse or better. One of the things she did what have me squat down while she tried to push my shoulders down, forcing my butt to almost touch the floor. ..more like a ballet squat. She then asked me if the pain was better or worse. I said worse. So she tried having me bend into a pushup with my hips still on the table. That also hurt - but not until later.

My leg pain is sooooo severe. It hasn't left since I started with her. And when I arrived at the physical therapist's, I only had a #1 pain level, compared to now of about a 4 or 5. If she messed me up, I'll be so mad. Anyone have any thoughts?

• Made my pain much worse. The doc that I have now does not even refer to PT. He says that he feels it is good for folks that are already in pretty good physical shape and can actually make the rest of us worse. I know that lots of people will disagree with that but like I said that is my docs opinion. In my personal opinion, the old saying "if it hurts don't do it" should also apply to PT. Things that you do for your body that is helpful should not cause pain. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
  • she made me walk on pebbles/rocks on the floor in order to try and see if she could reprogram my screaming/numbing foot. She thought it would lower my sensitivity to everything. Instead she set me back months in my recovery. So do what you think is correct for your body and take it at your pace. My surgeon kept saying I think you know what is better for your body than any PT I have tried. He was correct.