Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

TLIF L4L5 and Dynamic Stabilizatn L3L4

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone

Going to have my TLIF L4L5 & Dynamic Stabilization L3L4 surgery on 16 Jan 09 after getting a second opinion today. Both docs agree on the same thing as they think that it is better to have fusion on L4L5 after i reherniated the disk again. The first partial disectomy that I did in 1999 was a success and I totally had no sciatic pain for almost 10 yrs ...except for the occasional back pain which started the last 5yr. As my MRI showed that L3L4 has annual tears and had a bit of protusion, both docs agreed that I should stabilise it with a dynamic implant which still allows the joint to move while supporting it, this way hopefully I have total relieve of the leg pain and hopefully solve my back pain as well.

Any one who has done this type of procedure before? Or any success stories? Hopefully this will be my last surgery ever.

advertisement

Comments

• Good luck with your surgery! It sounds like a good idea, sounds promising. Whether or not this could be your last surgery will depend a great deal on your age. If you're 19, I'd say probably not. 60, very well could be. Haha :)
  • Thanks Lo. I am 35 now. I see that you had a similart experience.... reherniation within 4 mths...that must have been hard. Take it easy with with the fusion and do swimming. Take care.
  • I am back home after my surgery today. Had lot of pain on the first day due to the GA and the operation but most of the sciatic pain is gone. Still have some aching pain and some numbness ....started walking already..Any advice to give in these early stages? Thanks
  • I will be having Dynesys Dynamic Stabilization surgery on Mar.4th. I been reading & hoping to find someone else who had this surgery. AFter reading for a hour I came across your post. I'm glad your doing good.

I don't have any advice except to get well :).

I will be looking for your updates. I have spinal stenosis & hernation on L4 & L5.

Goos luck to you...

JanisD
  • That's great news surgery went well and for sure walking is beneficial. Are you wearing a brace? I guess that would be a reminder not to BLT. Sciatica pain is the worst and glad you don't have it anymore. I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • thanks for the well wishes/ Its now 10 days after the surgery. I feel great. Taking things very slow and walking as much as I can without overdoing it. The pain and numbness is almost gone except when I wake up in the morning or when i over exercised. Wearing the brace everywhere....seeing the doc in 3 days time (2 weeks after op) to see my progress and check on the implants.

Janis - I had TLIF sextant L4L5 and dynamic stbilisation aperius L3L4 done....so far so good. I was so surprised that the cuts were small and heal very fast....(was given biatain ag dressing and waterproof bandage to cover it)... just make sure you dnot wet your wound and it will heal very fast. Good Luck
  • So glad to hear your doing so well & that you had same type surgery I'll be having. It's just nice to hear from someone that had the same procedure {being it's new}.

I'm excited to get this surgery done & over with. I thought my surgeon told me my incision would be about 6" long. Hmm, maybe he was preparing me for the worst.

Red, how long were you in the hospital?

Again, thanks for your info.

Be well,
    Janis
  • So glad you are recovering so well. I am interested in the procedure you had, I have two bad discs, L4/5 & L5/S1. I am going for a consultation next Friday with my ortho surgeon. Why did you choose to have this particular stabilization system?
    I hope you continue to do so well but take it easy and don't get too anxious and do too much. Thanks and take care.
    Stacey
  • I had surgery on 16 jan (fri) in the morning. the physio came to my bed to teach me how to exercise and get off the bed on sat afternoon. i was asked to walk then (abt 20m)...the next day i was able to get out of bed unassisted and walk to the toilet (with supervision of course)..I was discharge on my surgeon advise on sun afternoon...HOWEVER pls always consult the surgeon who did your op before anything...In my case my surgeon told me to walk and ordered the physio..and he came to visit me everyday to TOLD me to walk.
    I have 4 cuts on my back. 2 cuts were 1.5 inch and 2 cuts 0.5 inch. Based on my MRI...my surgeon advised me on this procedures ..My L4L5 had reherniated and due to the scar tissue from my first surgery he told me TLIF fusion was the way to go...Also since I alreday had tears and disc protusion on the upper L3L4 and also I wanted this to be my last surgery he advised me to do a dynamic stabilizatn I told him to use the best implants as I had insurance cover for them ..so he suggested the aperius dynamic and sexant..the implants were on the expensive side..but at that time I was in total pain....I did secretly meet another surgeon for a 2nd opinion and he told me exactly the same procedure....so I was confident I was doing the right thing. Hope this helps...I off to do my afternoon exercise...just remember not to overdoit when surgery is over.
  • Thanks for all your info Red..I sure do appreciate it. I spoke with the surgery scheduling nurse & I asked her what type of incision I would have? She said I will have a 3" incision on either side. Now I assume she means on either side of my spine.

My surgery isn't until the 4th of March so within a month prior to my surgery I will see my regular doc. & then go for an EKG, lab work & then to see the scheduling nurse...

Luckily my hubby will be home for as long as I need him. He's retired military & also will be retiring from a second job within days. So, I have all the help I need there, not to mention we still have a 12 yr. old son at home.

I';m sure I'm doing the right thing & I have an excellent surgeon. He has a practice here in U.P. of MI. & one in Cal. He's well known around here.

I will be watching for more of your updates. Take care & glad to see your doing good.

Janis
  • Good Luck with the surgery. Different surgery procedure has different incision length...Dnot worry abt it...as long as there is no pain after :) I have a long scar abt 5 inch for my first surgery and now have another 4 more little one but I definitely am glad that I went for it cos I am in no/little pain and can enjoy myself with my family :)
advertisement