Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Osteopathic Treatments

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,841
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Pain Management
I was wondering if other members have had success with
Osteopathic treatments.
My pain management doctor wants to have me start seeing an Ostepath. At this point, we know that pain medications help, but thats not the long term answer. Deep Tissue massage works great for my thoracic area, but hasnt helped a lot in my cervical area. Aqua therapy helps alot with my lumbar. Acupuncture works 50% of the time and for me, its not covered by insurance.
So, I am always game for another approach

Osteopathy is an approach to healthcare that emphasizes the role of the musculoskeletal system in health and disease. In most countries osteopathy is a form of complementary medicine, emphasizing a holistic approach and the skilled use of a range of manual and physical treatment interventions (osteopathic manipulative medicine, or OMM in the United States and Canada) in the prevention and treatment of disease. In practice, this most commonly relates to musculoskeletal problems such as back and neck pain.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• I was referred to an osteopath, however , my insurance did not cover this particular doc since he was out of my network and area. My primary doc decided to send me to a neurologist instead. My pain management doctor was the one who referred me to osteopath after the SI joint injection. He also wanted this doc to start prescribing my pain meds instead of him.

I wish you much success if you do go to one. I've heard that they are good in conjunction with certain injections. I don't know how true that is but it was just something I read but can't remember where.
  • I saw one chap who defo aggravated my symptoms and another who methodically worked through different theories, testing discs and SI joints etc etc. Second one helped, to a point.

Ultra sound is magic if they can add that.

I guess it is a try and see approach but be careful with manipulation if you have had a fusion.
  • I have seen three different osteopaths, and they are fantastic. They have so much up their sleeves, it's hard to even say what they would try. You just show up and let them help.

• but my mom swears by them. Many years ago when she was young she used to suffer from terrible migraine headaches. Nothing helped. She was lucky enough to have an osteopath as an ER doc on one of her trips to ER with migraine. I am not sure exactly what he did but she never had another migraine after that visit. My last GP was an osteo and never really offered me any help with my back issues. He sent me to my current PM doc. I would be curious to know how you make out. Please keep us posted.
  • is going to see a D.O. neurosurgeon next week. Go figure.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,841
    Osteopath doctor next Friday. I am excited about going to see him. To me, this will be just another approach in solving the puzzle.
    All I am looking for is an additional twist and some relief.
    I cant wait until I can report back here.
  • has kept me going between all my surgeries. He has an extra specialty in Neuro-Muscular-Skeletal Manipulation. So his knowledge has really helped work out the tightness and weaknesses I have had to deal with. I hope you have as much or more success with yours as I have with mine. I wouldn't have wanted to get through these last years without him. Just so you know there are Osteopaths that only do manipulation and then others that do it just a bit. Their schooling has them choose which way they want to go.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,841
    In a nut shell, I've been told the biggest difference will be in the touch/manipulation.

I've been going to a Thai Deep Tissue Massage expert. From the first treatment, it was some of the most pain full experience I have been through. But I did get some excellent results. No matter how strong, deep. hard his work was (Elbows, Heels, Toes) he was able to get deep enough to work out some of the major problems I have with muscles and arthritis, in order to let the rest of my spine get a break.

And the Osteypate is suppose to be the direct opposite. Its more of a gentle approach.

One of the technicians at the therapeutic pool I go to has had both and she has told me that she continue both, because the treatments of Hard and Soft have made a world of difference in her spine

I am READY - big time
  • My new doctor actually did my surgery. I know that we would have done anything to avoid it but with my spine compression he wasn't left with many options. I had one years ago that I saw when I had a case of strep every 3 months. Other doctors wanted my tonsils removed. His question was, "Why? The infection will just find somewhere new to go and that could be even worse." His treatment of choice was to take me off sugar and gave me many vitamins to take to break the cycle that I seemed to have been in. Seaweed being one of them. Needless to say I was skeptical but I did exactly what he said and have never had strep again and I am 43 now and still have my tonsils. :)
  • I have sometimes wondered what the difference between the two professionals are. I asked my Physical Therapist this but she could not answer me.

I have visited an Osteopath several times - he was convinced that he could help me with my chronic daily headaches, however it did not help at all.
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• The difference between Osteopathy & Physiotherapy

Osteopaths view the body as a unique, interconnected, self-healing system. Osteopathic treatment focuses on correcting disturbances with this system, whether caused (by among many things) muscle weakness/imbalance and/or tension, restricted joint movements, poor posture or working practices. Given that each body is viewed as being unique, treatment is tailored to the individual not the symptom(s).
    The techniques employed by osteopaths can vary from cranial osteopathic (gentle touch and pressure), soft tissue techniques such as massage and passive joint movements (where the osteopath initiates and controls the movement) and thrust techniques (such as manipulation - often referred to by patients as ‘cracking’ – which, incidentally, is only the release of a slight vacuum that has built up between two surfaces of a joint). They may also use ultrasound, modern acupuncture, and in many cases lifestyle/postural advices, exercises and/or stretches may be given.

Physiotherapists concentrate on restoring optimum function and performance to the problem area. Physiotherapy diagnosis and treatment is less ‘hands-on’ as more focus is given to observing movement and correcting technique. The techniques employed by physiotherapists vary from soft tissue techniques, such as massage and passive joint movements (movements initiated and controlled by the physiotherapist), to more extensive rehabilitation exercise programs. Ultrasound and Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) machines may also be employed.
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• I'm going to see a neurosurgeon who is a D.O. He was recommended to me by my pharmacist who is also a back pain patient and my P.T. My pharmacist was given an epicural (I was going to correct that typo but I liked it so much I decided to leave it --I'm typing with a big cut on my finger) ....anyway, she was given an epidural injectiion by this D.O. neurosurgeon. When I see him, I will ask "our" question and will let you know what he says. Ron, you do the ame (if you want). I may find myself in the enviable position of having two doctors i like and having to choose. By the way, an "epicural injection" would be like some wonderful meal that would temporarily take your mind off your pain. Susan