Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

kj10601kkj10601 Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, I'm new to this and honestly don't know where to turn. I've been reading posts that people have gone back to work after five weeks, I'm four weeks out and no where ready.
December 12 2008 I had my surgery, spinal fusion, pedicle screws, they removed my disk, put in a cage with donor bone.(L5-S1). I think thats it but the day I had my surgery we had a horrible ice storm and no one seemed to be able to give me many answers. It was a Friday, my surgeon was gone for the weekend, and the nurses there were the worst I have ever had.
I am still having leg pain, the left side of my back is burning. I'm not sleeping, haven't had more than a couple hours a night since my surgery. I have my post op appointment this coming Thursday. I thought I would be off the pain meds by now but every time I try to take less a day I pay for it. I now have to call for a refill.
Three and a half years ago I had a discectomy, it worked wonders. Not sure what happened but when the pain started, I went back to my doctor who inturn sent me to my neurosurgeon, my spine was collasping, my disk ruptured again. I was asked if I was in an accident, I was not.
So I'm four weeks out and am still miserable. I walk, I wear my brace, I'm still waiting for my bone growth stimulator. I can't walk outside, its complete ice so my husband brings me to stores. I'm getting so frustrated and so depressed. I'm sick of the pain. Can anyone tell me how long this recovery is, I know its supposed to be a while but when I see others are already back at work it makes me nervous that this didn't work.

Any help would be great.
Thank you

• Kristen and welcome to the forum. You will find alot of support and understanding here.

You are still early in your recovery....your body has been put through quite an ordeal with surgery , it is something that you shouldn't take lightly. It is hard to say when you will feel better and be able to work because we are all different and we all heal differently. Why don't you make a list of your symptoms and your concerns , plus any questions that you may have for your doctor , things that you are unclear about and take that with you to your appointment. It helps sometimes to write it down so that you don't forget anything during your appointment that you want to go over.
    Take it easy and follow your doctor's orders. I wish you the very best of luck and if there is anything at all that I can help you with then please feel free to just let me know. Please keep us posted as to how you are doing. Take care....Miki
  • Thank you, its so nice to know there is help out there. I was thinking four weeks was a long time! At this point it seems like four years.
    That is one thing I did do is write everything down, armed for my post-op :). I'm sure there will be more added to the list, there's still a few more days until Thursday.
    Thanks again!
  • I had a two level fusion on Dec 11. Dont feel bad.l I like you were hoping for something fast and back on my feet. I didnt have any leg pain prior to surgery. I have some and also lots of back and loeg spasms. Its all normal. I had a check up at 3 weeks and he said all was well. I thought I could ween myself off pain meds, Nothing doing, really payed for it. I was on narcotics, before surgery and now am on 75 Fentyl patches, oxycodone 30 mg every 4 hours and vallium every 8-12 hours for spasms. It was a almost 8 hour surgery. And my Dr said I woulod be on 75 patches for a couple months and then down to 50 and so forth. So dont feel down. I am no where near ready to drive or anything. Just keep walking and resting. Our bodies have went through a ton of stuff and needs to rest and recoup. I had rods and screws and discectomy and he filled with cadavar bone and stuff. So we are both about the same. I cant walk outside casue of ice and snow.. The house gets smaller and smaller. Good thing I have my laptop and this site. Keeps me smiling and knowing I am not alone.
  • You don't even know how much your post just meant to me! You made me smile! Not because you're in pain but because I am not alone. Thank you!
    I wish you weren't going through any of this, I don't wish this on anyone.
    The house IS getting smaller, Super Walmart is where I've been walking, its close to home, car rides are rough on me, but even Walmart is getting smaller. Plus, I buy stuff every time I'm there.:) I'm not driving either, my husband has taken me everyday.
    I've been on pain meds for so long, and am getting sick of them. I'm on valium also, gabapentin, Thursday I go and can't wait to talk to him. I ran out of my pain meds yesterday and so far no one has returned my three phone calls.
    Thank you so much, honestly, you have made me feel so much better about this. I was thinking four weeks was a long time and I should feel great. I'm glad you wrote back.
  • Nice to meet you!
    I had my surgery Sept 17th revision PLIF L4-S1 and I am still home and still having pain.
    For some of us this is a very very very very long recovery.
    We all just have to find other things to do in the house.
    I know you get bored of doing the simple things and no heavy things. I'm used to it as I have been home since 06.

Some days are lazy ones. Some energegic ones. Some I sleep the day away. Some I get very very frustrated and want to scream at the world. But hey that is not going to help. :D

I think its easier for me as I had a revision so I knew what it was going to be like.
    The first surgery I had no clue until it happened.

The people you see going back to work so early , either have desk jobs. Are feeling awesome. OR have no choice but to go back or their job is in jepordy.
    Some also do not have fusions.
    Depends on the patient, dr and the surgery itself.

So hang in there.
    That is why this site is here is to keep you going!!
    I have found useful to watch alot of re run comedy shows.
    Take my nap always in the afternoon no matter what. I set the coffee pot before I lay down.
    A HUGE THING is taking a shower before you even take a nap. Otherwise I find I end up not getting in.

Your still VERY early out in recovery. So hang in there and give it time :X
  • Man
    Iam 45 min from any Walmart Target ar any mall. I wish I were u. LOL Sounds like we both have great hubbys. Mine got a little stool so I can get in his pickup. Being from Iowa we have so many snow storms, I have to be able to have 4 wheel drive. I got my Oxycodone refilled yesterday, and I guess they are back ordered on the 15 dose, I was taking 2 every 4 hours for break through. Anyway, I had to get 5mg capsules, so that is 6 capsules every 4 hours. I only got 78 15 pills and 478 5 mgs. So, talk about a hassle.. Anywy, blizzard is gone today. Now it is like -30 with wind chill. I think I will walk my circle in the house,again. Hope you got your pain meds. I was waiting for my script to come in mail, and had to call primary to get enough for weekend. Hang in there and keep me posted how you are doing. >:D<