Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My child

madlizmommadlizmo Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in New Member Introductions
My 10 year old son will have spinal fusion surgery on January 14th. He broke his collarbone back in October and had it plated. He then started to have neck pain and was diagnosed with torticollis. After seeing several different doctor and a physical therapist finally, a doctor did an MRI. It showed that his occiput was fused to his C1 vertebrae. The pediatric orthopedist noticed that an Xray from several years ago (for adenoids) showed that it was fused back then. The trauma he experienced in October aggravated the congenital problem. He will have a plate put in and a bone graft from his hip. Please wish us luck!

• I'm so sorry that your son has to go through this and I wish the best for him. As young as he is, it will probably be just a blip on the screen, but I know how frightening this must be for both of you. My prayers will be with you.
  • I'm sure that he's in capable hands and will be a trooper...I sometimes think we can probably learn a lot from the younger patients...please tell your son I'll be thinking about him and know that he'll come through stronger than before
  • and welcome to the forum. You and your child will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please update us all when you can about how he is doing. If there is anything at all that I can help you with then please just let me know. You don't have to go through this alone , we are here to help and support you in whatever way we can. Wishing nothing but the best for you and your family.....take care....Miki
  • :D hi and welcome to the forum!! =D> we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i know you are doing all you can and then some to help your son. i am sure he has great medical care and you are his number one cheerleader. but i want to know how you are? are you catching some rest when you can? recovery is going to have some sleepless nights too!! you need all your strength and wits about you for the added stress will fall on you. try a few extra vitamin supplements and fresh juice each morning. taking care of you will certainly help take care of him. drop by the forum anytime you need an understanding ear! i am always a pm away! all my best! Jenny :D
  • I hope everything goes well for your son's surgery and hope he heals well also. It's good you kept up looking for Drs to help and they finally did an MRI to find the problem. You're doing a great job. Stay strong. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • almost always come through these things much easier than adults. They are so resilient. I can only imagine how scary this must be for you though. We will be glad to support and comfort you through this ordeal. Please post anytime that you want or need to. Good luck to your son and please keep us posted on the outcome.
  • Good luck with your sons surgery....
  • You will both be in our thoughts and prayers. Kids bounce back so quickly from things that really get us adults down. I wish you all the best our thoughts and prayers go with you.
  • just a note to wish you and your son luck for surgery
    my thoughs are with you both

LOVE P

• My son's surgery went well. Apparently he was worse than the doctor thought. Originally the doc said that the movement was between the 1st and 2nd vertebrae but my son had a lot of movement between the 2nd and 3rd also. The doc inserted a plate at the occiput and two screws and then 2 titanium rods that go to his 3rd vertebrae. He fused bone from his hip too. He'll have to wear a cervico-thoracic brace for 8-12 weeks. My son is very athletic but he'll be out of all sports for 6 months. (we haven't told him that yet). After the surgery my son was not in a lot of pain but then again the anesthesia hadn't worn off yet and he has some good pain meds. Thank you for all your support!
  • :D that must be such a relief to have him out of surgery and on the road to recovery.. =D> he is going to have some difficult times missing out on school things. this to shall pass!! i was in leg braces when i was 10 and can still remember watching the other kids play in the street in the summertime! :''( now comes recovery!!! all the best and please take care of yourself too!! Jenny :D
  • Well, his neck is good and he has no pain there. But, the site of the hip graft is really painful. He sat in a chair yesterday but was in a lot of pain to get there. He's having trouble supporting his weight standing. Hopefully he can go home tomorrow.
  • you are in my thoughts and prayers. That makes me sad to hear this, Thank God someone caught it though.
  • My son came home today. He first had to walk the hall and a couple of steps--he did great! He still hurts from the hip but he's home! Thank you all.
  • :) all of us here are so happy he is home. :D i hope you will still stop by if you need our support or just to chat. you sound like you have a brave son and you are a strong mom to help him the entire way through recovery!! :X in no time he will be walking and looking back at all he has been through. =D> good luck madlizmo, to you and your wonderful son!! Jenny :)