Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

i am sorry mr beer ..there nothing more we can do!

strakerstraker Posts: 1,851
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Chronic Pain
that's what i was greeted with .today at the hospital.i am talking about pain control.
i asked her for another epidural ..she said not a chance because when she did the last one .the needle nearly broke due to the amount of DDD and scar tissue.there are no more drugs that i can take .and a SCS is out of the question because of the geography of my back.all she is going to do is another MRI scan to see why there has been such a dramatic deterioration of my lower spine
wonderful news i don't think so!

• Oh, gosh - I don't know what to say. I am so sorry.

Have you considered filing for Social Security Disability?

It couldn't hurt (sorry about the pun) and the worst that could happen woudl be you are tuned down...?

Unless you are still working - then you can't file.

I sincerely hope things get better for you soon.

Take care.

• Don't you dare accept that- there's always something that can be done! Ask to be seen by another doctor, even if you have to travel to do so.

Please don't let this get you down. Perhaps your MRI will show something that has been previously missed. Keep your chin up, okay?

• You've always offered us many of words of wisdom. I wish I had some for you today. Just know that I will be thinking of you. I'm with Griff though. Don't just take that as the last word. Just because this doc can't figure out what to do doesn't mean the next one can't either. Keep pushing through buddy. We are all behind you.
  • hi and thanks again
    i must say my pain doctor is a consultant anesthetist and the person that people go to for a SECOND opinion she is the best she is used as an expert witness for medical malpractice lawsuits ..so what i am saying is she is extremely good ..not only that i think that she has a soft spot for me !.she is very kind and we talk more like friends.she advised me not to go with any experimental procedures and i could end up crippled !.i i will take her word for it.she is going to re scan my back just to find out why things are so bad ,
  • I like that your doctor is honest with you. Even if the news we want to hear is not good at least they are up front and tell you the truth. That is what I have told my doctors all along. Tell me and let me deal with it. I understand pain and can handle the fact that it will always be a part of my life. Finally that is what they told me....it was like my surgeon telling me the news was saying he did not do his job. I never went through what I did thinking I would feel great. Straker you are lucky in the sense that you have an honest doctor and it does sound like she is a good one. On the other hand, never give up....there are new things developing all the time. I do wish you the best.

• I know that things are different in the UK, but can you get on a disability pension for your back problems? Is neurostimulators or morphine pumps offered there, and how long is the waiting period? Is your doctor giving you anything for pain?
    I've been told that there's nothing else surgically for me except putting in the devices listed above to manage my pain. I'm not giving up, but I am accepting that I'll always have pain. It's not any different than a diabetic needing insulin for life. Hang in there Straker, we all hope for a better quality of life for you. Take care
  • and a Myelogram or CT Scan done yet. The CT scan (with dye) will show more than an MRI. My NS always did MRI's and XRays and I asked him what about a CT Scan and he said it wouldn't show anything different. However, I went to my Ortho and that was the first thing he ask. "Did you have a CT Scan or Myelogram done at all?" I told him NEVER have I had one. He wanted me to get it done because it would show even the teeniest tinyest movement in my fusion. Now with the Myelgram they do inject your spine with Dye so I dont know if this is something they can do with your issues. The injection itself was less painful than the epi's however you do feel a massive amount of pressure in your hips and upper legs. At least I did. They may be able to do the Myelogram if they just inject in a spot about the scar tissue and what-not. Of course my Myelogram and CT supposidly showed nothing. Then why the heck am I in so much stinking pain? Hopefully SOON we will figure it out. Anyway I just wanted to throw that suggestion out at you. And if you trust your PM and feel that you are being taken care of well, stick with her. You could go to a NS or Ortho and get another opinion though.
    Hope you figure this all out soon!!! Keep us posted. MJ
  • I am so sorry that you didn't get good news. I know how discouraging and frustrating this is. You want answers and fix to your pain and now you are hearing there is nothing more they can do. I hope they discover something soon to solve your pain dilemna.

Take Care and God Bless
  • what i like about this site is the fact that people are there for each other .and they care because they are in a similar position
    OK..i was going to have a SCS but due to the fact that my spine is full of scar tissue and i have thoracic outlet syndrome and other congenital deformities of the spine .it is not possible to have a successful out come with a spinal cord stimulator {this information is from the top neurosurgeon at my hospital {i saw him under the NHS for free but some pay thousands to see him}so i am very lucky to have seen him.My pain consultant is a real darling she is so kind and understanding and very talented but again very professional she tells me as it is .The last time she tried to give my an epidural she had real problems. because of all the scar tissue and the damaged discs she had to completely anaesthetise me rather than just sedate me ,because i was distressed due to the pain and length of time it took for her to administer the drugs via the epidural.i should have been in theater only 45mins but it was nearly 2 hours!.so no more for my safety {she recons that if she tried again that she would hit nerves and cause more permanent damage and incontinent and she does not want to do that to me .she has told me NOT to pursue any other less qualified or experimental doctor's that would ;give it a go;!!!.On to my own doctor .he is a fine man and a doctor of 40 years i have total trust in his abilities .he is my pain control manager too he give me my CD drugs and keeps records {this saves me from going to hospital for pain reviews {also my wife is his health visitor and midwife at his surgery]
    i use a high end TENS its called ACTICARE its also an external spinal cord stimulator and it has high frequency and radio frequency modes too .{don't confuse my acticare unit with the junk that you can get from your chemist for around 20 pounds } the acticare is a hospital grade piece of equipment
    my pain doctor wants me to have a MRI scan because she is concerned about the amount of pain that i am in and the amount of scar tissue .and the fact that my DDD has advanced in the last year {after the last operation {.that was the bilateral discectomy at S1 and a redo of L4;L5 }
    in the UK we use medtronic SCS and morphine pumps but as i have said both my doc and pain doc feel that this would do more harm than good.
    DRUGS i take oxycontin and oxynorm and temazepam .i can't take any of the gabapentin {nuratrin?} pregabalin {lyrica} and amitriptyline and dithiopin and similar drugs because i have too many bad side effects/
    HOME life
    thank god i have an angel of a wife she is lovely and never gets annoyed with me and she treats me as an equal .i say that because i can't work for health issues and she has to work and look after me {not an easy job i help as much as i can} we have a well equipped lovely home and i want for nothing ,,i have 2 recliners/ a twin electrical adjustable bed and a wet room for showering and i own a 4x4 {i am not showing off or boasting !its just fact we spend all our money on the house and on my comfort.i don't drink but i am afraid that i do smoke ! its relives the boardham when you are awake at 3 am every night in pain {despite having a comfy bed!]because my wife is a high earner we don't get any benefits apart from my incapacity benefit around 100 pounds a week.i don't qualify for disabled living allowance because they don't class permanent pain as a disability!{they want to try living with it!?}i can't walk far because of the pain in both my legs and relentless back ache i am unable to do much i get out of my bed hobble down stairs on to my recliner take my drugs put on my acticare and lay down and get as comfy as possible.that's about all i can do without being in mega pain.i only go out when there is no other choice.its not the best but there are other worse than me .i am not a depressive person and i have a very good sense of humour..i think that i have boared you all to sleep now so i will end take care all

• I understand every word you are saying. My husband earns the money in my family and I have been very fortunate. He bought me a relax the back recliner and it has been so wonderful. I also use a tens unit, of course there are days that I need about 3 or 4 of them because my pain is all over the place. I also take the neurontin, use to take Lyrica but switched over and it works just as well. I call that nerve pain a "gremlin", it is mean and relentless. I was also lucky in that I did get my Social Security Disablility, for me it was a valadation that I am disabled and my pain was acknowledged. I miss so much in life, the fun that my husband and I use to have, being only 52 in my brain I am still young even though my body says I am not.

I just wanted to tell you again that you did not bore me at all, hang in there and keep us updated.

• I am relieved to hear that you and your wife have a comfortable arrangement. It breaks my heart to hear about people losing everything because they can't work due to their incapacitating back problems. I feel so fortunate that my husband is the breadwinner and I get my social security. I now realize how bad your back is and I am sorry that you suffer like that. My day is similar like yours, and I have to see the kids off in the morning and then I retire to my bed with an ice pack, take my meds, and watch tv/surf the web. I have family nearby but cannot visit anyone due to the pain. Had to give up my favorite hobbies too. I feel like such a hermit.

PS You aren't boring. I always enjoy reading your posts and want to hear how you're doing.
  • Hi Straker,

I'm so sorry to hear the news wasn't very good today. I'm also in the position of hearing an SCS would be great for me if only this or that was different. It sounds like you're in good hands and not much can be done until you have the results of your latest scan back.

It's very tough with scar tissue in the area where we could use help. I had a previous pain doctor do epidurals through by back surgery scar tissue and it made things a lot worse. My previous pain doctor explained how when going through a tight area of scar tissue, it's almost impossible not to come out faster than you should on the other side, which is why I had so many problems afterward. Same goes with other injections, since scar tissue puts pressure on everything. I went in for a caudal steroid block and was going through my relaxation techniques, then ended up screaming from the pain. I guess it causes so much pressure, than the meds going build up even more pressure.

Hm, have you tried Klonopin for nerve pain? That's what I started on in '96, and it helped quite a bit. I'm currently on both that and Lyrica (plus other stuff). I'm so glad you have support at home, that means so much. Take good care of yourself, and I hope your results come out with you having options for more pain relief.

• thanks for you post
    i have heard of that drug you mentioned is it available in the uk?
    regarding pain control ..there's not much that i can do until i find out the results of my MRI scan {knowing the NHS i will have to weight about 3 months for a scan then another 6 weeks for the results!}
    i know that they are busy but 4 and a half months is too long to weight don't you think?
  • I take the generic for klonopin for anxiety. It's called clonazepam. It helps with my IBS-C and it does seem to relax the muscles in my back as well. I'm not on a very strong dose though. I think it would be more helpful for the nerve pain if they increased the dose however my primary is hesistant to do this as he said it can be addicting. I am going to talk to neurologist when I go on the 30th to see if a stronger dose may help. Right now I am on .5mg per day. I am going to take 2 tabs today to see if it helps quiet the nerves down because I am in such pain from doing some chores around the house this morning.

Straker, you are far from boring and I am glad that you have such a loving, supportive wife. Be sure to tell her how much you appreciate her and how beautiful she is often. Us women love to hear that from our husband's.
  • Please never think that you bore us at all. Anyone that may feel that way always has the option not to read the post. I am so sorry that you get such little relief from the pain. You are correct in that you are very lucky to be able to afford so many comforts that help make your life a little easier. I also enjoy reading your posts. It is very interesting to know what folks in other countries go through with medical care and pain treatments. I for one look forward to reading more so please keep us posted.
This discussion has been closed.