Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How in the world do you pull up your pants?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I just cant imagine how i will be able to put on my pants after my adr in 8 days.If I cant bend or twist how will I get my feet in and reach to pull them up? Any ideas.....

• I still can't put pants on standing up after 4 weeks. My husband helped me dress initially. Then I realized that if I sat down first, put my pants on half way and then stood up ... it worked!

Good luck!

• I bought one of those grabber things from walmart! It is amazing how many uses that you will find for them. Getting dressed was a big one. My hubby had to keep working while I was recoving from my L5-S1 fusion so I was home alone all the time. TRUST me I couldn't have done ANYTHING without the grabber!
  • what's the old saying..."necessity id the mother of invention"...I think the sitting down in a straight back chair gig may work and use a long pair of tongs to grab them to pull them up half-way...I'm just really fortunate to have a wife who works from home
  • too at about week two how I was going to start getting my pants on. I sit at the edge of my bed because its high up enough for me that i am almost still standing then I put one leg in slide my foot through the bottom, then the other leg in till foots out the bottom, then grab a hold of them at mid thigh, and pull them up as I stand up. Now I can balance on one foot and do the same thing without bending. Ive learned how to do things in odd ways, like hooking my pants to my right foot and balancing straight up to grab them to put them in the laundry lol. Im a chimp! The real task for me was getting my shoes on, have mastered that now as well. You will start to figure it out in the days to come what works best for you.
  • Reachers, grabbers, hooks, sock aids all great things to help you get dressed after back surgery. Ask your doctor to have an Occupational Therapist come in and show you how to use these things. Some hospitals will even order them for you cant find them elsewhere.

I am so glad I had my grabber for the first few months till m restrictions were lifted.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    Why bother, if it hurts putting them on, leave them off.
    Of course you must consider your surrounding envrionments
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Keep in mind I have been doing sweat pants for my entire recovery period.

For the first few days, my wife helped out. After that, I was able to do the same thing as Susan. I was prepared to use my grabber, but didn't need it.

In the bathroom, I never dropped my pants below the knees, so it was easy to grab them, pull up slightly, stand up, and then pull them up the rest of the way.
  • I have the grabbers and i just went to walmart and bought two pairs of elastic waist jeans ans two set of jamas with pants so those should help considering they are big and elastic waist.
  • at how different doctors are in their recovery instructions. Mine told me no REPETITIVE BLT. They said if you need to tie your shoes that's OK--just don't do it again and again. No brace. CRAZY. I'm starting to think I've done WAY TOO MUCH during this recovery. Is the concern that there will be breakage or non-fusion with BLT? Nerve irritation? I'm doing OK--not great--but I'm also off pain meds during the day--which caused increased pain.

• with how different doctors have different ideas and orders...but I do know that I could not imagine even walking to the kitchen from the bedroom at my stage (1 week) without a brace...I'd be too paranoid
  • Like everyone says get you a grabber, they work wonders and for my socks I ordered a sock puller on the internet that was the greatest thing invented! I could not put my socks on and still cant, they also make things that assist you in the restroom so you dont have to twist.I have learned to use my feet for so many things and people just dont know how good they have have it that have a good back.God bless you and keep the faith.
  • I would think using your feet in the bathroom would take some pactice. :))(
  • I would recommend house dresses for the ladies. It's comfortable and practical, especially during the first few weeks.
  • LMAO =)) But yah I hardly EVER wore any pants or sweats. IT was just the hubby and my 2 year old daughter around. BUT there were times that we had company so I had to get dressed. That is when the grabber came in handy.
  • I think it really depends on how flexible you are. I never had any problem putting socks and shoes on. From sitting in a straight chair,(or side of bed, or toilet seat) it was easy for me to bend my leg at the knee (akimbo) and then, keeping my posture upright and my back perfectly "straight," to reach my foot to put on socks and shoes.

Also you can learn to do a lot of things, even things like getting laundry out from the dryer, by --- I hope I can explain this -- learning to bend, keeping your back in a continuous line (like a table top) and hinging at the hips, rather than bending at the waist like most people are used to doing. To take this a step further, stand on one leg (and hanging on to something stable with one hand), hinge from the hips and tip forward while letting the free leg come up behind you as far as is comfortable. (This would be kind of like an "arabesque" position in dance, if you're familiar with that.) Your standing leg works almost like a fulcrum, allowing you to reach further down to the floor without bending in inappropriate places. Oh, I should add, this works for lumbar fusions. I don't know about others higher up. Again, for someone who isn't very flexible, I assume this will not work comfortably!

My doctor doesn't use braces after fusion, but his PA knew I was concerned about the lack of one. As I was being discharged from the hospital, she arrived with one of those wide, elastic braces that goes around the middle section and attaches with velcro. She told me I could wear it at first, to remind me not to bend or twist, until I got used to the concept. You could try something like that before your surgery, and try different ways of moving to see what works for you.
  • Hi,
    Your going to get so many different opinions on this one.
    I had no issues putting pants on etc.
    Pretty much the first 2wks I lived in sweats, loose jammie pants or night shirts.
    Shoes I had slip on sneakers (no backs) by the 4th wk mark I was able to put my leg up over my other knee and put my other sneakers on fine.

So yeah its going to depend on the person. Some people have a very hard time, some of us we don't give it a second thought.

Now you said ADR. Are you have a cervical artifical disk replacement or a lumbar artifical disk replacement???
    2 totally different surgeries where its harder to do different things..
    Just asking as I had both a cervical and lumbar fusion.

GOOD LUCK!! I wish you all the best.. Take one day at a time and don't expect to much to soon..
    Terri xoxo
  • Actually, I'm not from Seatle but it was a catchy topic. Everytime I come into this site and see the topic question "How in the world do you pull up your pants?" I begin to laugh. I envision a world of Spineys all sitting at their computers Pantless with their trusty Grabbers and elongated Shoe Horns right by their sides. Now where did I leave my Tongs, no not the ones for barbequing. Jees Lousie, don't mix those up.

A Smiling Dick from Mass.
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • Thanks Dick, I needed that - Im sitting in bed laughing my butt off right now :))(
  • Hubby helps or I use my gripper. But I am really really good about not bending, lifting or twisting. I have grippers all over the house! lol