Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C4-C7 Post surgery pain

RICKRRICK Posts: 136
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had C4-7 anterior cervical diskectomy, fusion, partial copectomy and instrumenation done on Dec. 9, 2008, the surgery took about six hours due to bone spurs he clipped and filed down. I was in the hosptial for three days, tommorw wll be five weeks of home rest, wearing a hard collar outside of house and a soft collor in my house and sleeping.
The pain and numbness in my left arm, right wrist and presurgery in my neck are gone. But I have bad pain deep behind my right shoulder blade and neck, is this normal for 5 weeks after surgey? I am taking Hydrocodone/apap and Flexeral three times a day. I see my Doctor Jan. 23 with a current xray on my neck.
I sleep on the recliner so I don't roll on my right side and wake up with major pain.

• I'm glad your past surgery and into recovery. I had my surgery on Oct. 21 and still have the pains you describe in my neck and shoulder blade. I asked my surgeon about it when I saw him in December and he said it's perfectly normal and that many cervical surgery patients feel pain in those areas.

I'm still on Hydrocodone and Flexiril. I start PT on Jan. 21 and am expecting a whole new set of pains coming out of that.

Take care,
  • but it will be a year since my surgery in March and I still have alot of pain in my neck and between my shoulder blades. But, when I had surgery my Doc said it was for stability and not to take away all of the pain. But, everyone is different so I wouldn't let my story be for everyone elses.
    I wish you luck and hope your pain free someday...
  • Rick, I had a one level C6-7 replacement and fusion on the same day as you. The pain that you describe is the same pain that I am having. The spasms and shoulder blade pain is very bad at times.

I am no longer on a muscle relaxer although I wish I were. The new pain prescrip that I have states that I should be taking the meds every eight hours. Today is my first attempt at that and I am hurting!!

I see my surgeon on the 22nd. I hope to get news that I can drive and go back to work. Good luck to you! God Bless!
  • I had a one level C5/6 ACDF last March and I had similar pain for over 5 months. Then one day I got up and it was just gone and so far has not returned.
    I hope you get the same results and the pain just goes away.
  • I am 3 months post surgery and I have muscle spasms in my shoulders that just seem to want to never leave even with Soma as a muscle relaxer. You can feel the knots between my shoulders and they HURT. ~X( I'm really sick of them at this point and looking into how to make them go away permanently. I'm considering deep tissue massage and haven't ruled out trigger point injections or acupuncture. I'm have got to get them to go away once and for all. I've been through PT already and had considered going back but I think I need more than my therapist can offer. It's time to get mean and aggressive with this pain and get it under control.
  • had same problems. but my daughter rubbed out muscle spasms and knots every day for several weeks. now im a little stiff in the mornings but goes away throughout the day. so get a good massage it might help.