Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What do i need to take to hospital?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just thinking of things I might need to get ready for the hospital? thanks

• I wore sweats, t-shirt and tennies to the hospital. I brought a bathrobe, fresh change of clothes, slippers, my book, and some clean socks.

30 minutes after I got there, they told me to take off everything (yes, EVERYTHING) and put on the beautiful hospital gown.

The only thing I even touched in my bag was my clean socks. Since my surgery was at 6:30am, I had only worn my sweats and t-shirt for a couple of hours, so I put them back on the next day when it was time to leave.

I took way too much stuff. But, my stay was just over 24 hours (and I was out of it a lot of the time), so I'm sure it's different for lumbar surgeries.

• I only needed the clothes I had come in & my toothbrush.

Even the lovely robe I had bought just for this occasion sat in my overnight bag..its just easier to use the hospitals when you have a pump & cathedar hooked up to you.

I was too out of it to want my laptop,cell phone,books or anything. I didn't even want visitors & when they did come I slept I)
  • toiletries, nightie, slippers (for walking the halls), a book and a telephone list. Oh and x-rays.
    I went to rehab so I had a seperate bag packed at home for my mum to pick up and drop in when I was transferred but in hospital you dont need much at all.
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • I think a lot depends on how long they say you'll be there. I took way too much, but a few things I couldn't have lived without.
    Earplugs/eyeshades - if you want to get any sleep whatsoever.
    Antiseptic wipes - just can't be too careful so I used one before I ate anything
    Escapist trash magazine - for some diversion if you can't sleep.
    Lip balm
    Saline nasal spray - I tend to get sick when my nose dries out too much
    Licorice - I love it and it's a great throat soother.
    Throat lozenges - just trying not to get sick....
    I had this all in one toiletry back, always within easy reach on my tray table.
    A cozy blanket - just a great comfort while you're laying there.
    I was too out of it to use the robe, PJ's slippers, etc. that I brought. I wore warmer socks under the non-skid ones they give you. For walking the halls I just put on a second gown - modesty kind of goes out the window when you're that wrecked. I wore a loose sweatsuit to the hospital, with my Crocs, and wore the same thing home.
    Best of luck to you!
  • I'm basically a minimalist, so I took clean underwear, toothbrush, hair brush and comb, and cell phone. I was way too out of it the 5 days I was there to use anything else. Wore the same clothes I wore to the hospital on the ride home.

When is your surgery?
  • It really depends on how long you think you will be hospitalized. I took a backpack of clean underwear, socks, bra and lip balm. I wore my sweatsuit and crocs to the hospital and back home for comfort. Less is more, definitely. I was the first case so the schedule is usually on time so I didn't take a book. I was told to change into the gown right away so all the hook-ups could take place. It all happened so fast, I was in the OR before I knew it and back out in no time. I went home the next day so I really did not have time to need much other than meds which they bring you even if you dont want them(resting time). Good Luck and Best Wishes...7 days of freedom left.
  • In addition to my toothbrush, I did need my lipbalm :* , the hospital is soooo dry (maybe some handcream)
    and my slipper socks.
    The rest of it never left my bag, and I took so much time & energy to pack it all.