Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

A different foot problem for foot drop

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone,
I know that foot pain has been an exhuasted topic but I have a question and can't seem to find any answers about it. I had a PLIF multi level L4 to S1 on Dec. 2nd. Prior to surgery I had foot drop for 15 months. When I woke up from surgery I still had numbness in the foot but I had control over it again. Obviously I was very excited to be able to control my foot again and lift it etc. I was doing great for about four weeks and then I started noticing what I thought was just me gaining skin sensation back in my numb area's of the foot. A week later the foot pain has become unbearable. I started PT on week three but pain started at week four. Yes I know I am in the early stages of recovery but I dont know what to expect when foot drop...wakes up? The pain is almost similar to gout but I had that checked and its not gout. The symptoms are:
Burning pain in big toe and joint along side big toe, tingling sensations in the other toes, burning pain again on the top of my foot and hypersensativity to the point that if you were to touch the little bitty hairs they feel like electic needles. The arch of my foot feels tingles and burn but when I step on it it feels like its going to tear in half. The foot is also very "flat".
Has anyone had foot drop corrected with surgery and not with a brace and had pain or sensativity in the foot ??? If so for how long. I am worried that this is perma damage but dont know yet. Any ideas, experiences would be appreciated.
Thanks everyone

• I haven't had surgery but I had hypersensitivity to my foot. I iced my foot. I put my foot in a bowl and put ice for a few minutes and rubbed the ice down my leg and it helped ease the pain. I had xrays, bone scan, leg doppler because I thought the foot was broken or there was a clot. Xrays showed soft tissue swelling they even thought at first it was a stress fracture but it was so swollen I had to repeat the xray 3 weeks later. I also wore a compression tensor. This was a Dr. order for me only. It's better now after 6 months. I feel for you that is some painful thing. I hope you get some relief soon. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Erica

I also suffer from a left foot drop. My surgery was on 12/19. So far, foot drop has not improved.

That hypersensitivity you are describing is what I have been suffering from for 6 months. I also have that burning pain.

My surgery has eased it somewhat but not entirely and now I suffer from that hypersensitivity on my right butt cheek (was not there before surgery). I am meeting with my MD on Thursday so maybe I will have some answers then.

• Hi Erica. I'm having the awful burning, needles stabbing in my calves and feet off and on. I had mild foot drop before surgery but I also had the same burning, etc. My surgeon told me that nerves cause all kind of a commotion as they heal. (he used more technical terms, LOL) !!! He told me he won't even consider prescribing something like Lyrica until his patients pass the 1 year mark.

My doc doesn't put his postop patients in pt. He encourages walking and gradual increases in a general exercise program but feels that the pt, esp. too early, can cause negative symptoms. That is his opinion only - I think most docs do recommend pt after lumbar surgery. I will tell you that when I do certain activities my legs are much, much worse. And conversely, walking seems to soothe the nerves alot. So much so that I purchased an inexpensive treadmill and I walk for 30 mins on it each morning while I am doing my magnetic bone growth treatment.
    Sometimes I ice my lower back and that calms the legs, too.

The most frustrating part of going through this surgery, for me, is the continued nerve issues in my legs and feet. Even tho "intellectually" I thought I was prepared for the months it would take to get my nerves to heal, it doesn't make it any easier when we try to pick up the pieces after surgery, does it? If the pain is overwhelming, call your doc. Maybe they need to have you do a followup MRI or something???? But based on the other posts I've read, and like you, I read most of them, I think we all are going through major nerve issues post op.

Hope they calm down soon, sweetie.

• for a nerve medication to help ease this. Al lot of funny sensations hit us when the nerves get woken up and it is hard to tall what ia what especially when they move around.
    Lyrica or Neuritin may help you but you need a script from your Dr.
    It really helped me.
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • for your comments, suggestions and experiences I appreciate them. But I am still wondering if there is anyone out there that has had there foot drop cured from surgery and what the recovery was like to heal the foot, ankle, leg etc. I will be talking to my NS on wed I hope he has a good solution to this mess. Foot drop is aweful but right now I almost wish it would just go numb again :( Keep the posts coming I appreciate them all and they do help. Charri I am looking into the idea that I could have injured my foot while it was numb, and will bring that up to the doc when I go in. Thanks!
  • Does anybody's foot start to flop after walking a ways .I was fused from l5s1 to l3 fused an a artificial disc at l3 . In July i have some serious nerve stuff going on down my legs an in both buttocks .But i continue to walk but after walking about five minutes my right foot starts to flop any comments would be great you can email me at vondownum@yahoo.com thanks