Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why does it hurt when

JoyJJoy Posts: 560
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I get up from laying down? I try to be active (just doing piddly things around the house) and lay down when I get tired. When I get back up, I hurt worse. It doesn't matter if I lay flat on my back with pillows under my knees or if I lay down on my side. Just curious if others have this same problem and if they have found a solution?

• I'm not sure why that happens, but it's one of my biggest problems. That's why I still use a raised toilet seat. My husband is such a gentleman and always helps me up from the couch, car, etc. If someone has a techy answer, that would be great. Good question Joy.
  • Joy,

Do you get up gradually? When I get up from a laying down, first I turn to my side, than push myself up slowly on my elbow, sit up, and slowly get up. This works for me, actually, this is one of my biggest improvement after surgery, that I can do that without pain. Before, I took 5-10 minutes before I could even straighten out my body, and felt that the "rustiness" cleared up. I thought it was from old age, but now I know that it was part of my problem.

Good luck,

• I wish I knew why, but I was like you. Dreaded getting out of bed and bent over for a while after.
    Now I do some stretches before getting out of bed and that really helps.
    I do gently rocking from side to side then just gently rocking my knees from side to side (PT says this is NOT twisting as there is no load). Then I pull one shoulder acrosss my body then the other.
    Next I bend my knees and cross one leg over the other and stretch that knee towards my toes.
    LAstly I do a hamstring stretch.
    Give it a try as it really helped me.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • Totally! I have not had surgery yet. Every time I lay down, even for 5 minutes, when I stand up, OH NELLY! The longer I lay, the longer it takes to feel better. When I stand up I get this pain in my back, like I literally feel the bones resting on each other. Then go the shooting pains down my legs. The length of time I lay down then effects the time it takes to feel better. I can usually "walk it out".

I feel your pain. You are not alone. :)

• Joy,

I am with you. I have the same thing happen to me. Maybe we need ot get up slower? I will try the suggestions that the others have offered and see if they work. If you find a solution, let me know :)

• I always do the rolling out bit to get out of bed, but it doesn't help. Takes about 15 min. or so before I feel any better. I'm like Caity...the longer I lay down, the worse I feel when I get up. I have the terrible pain in my back, but only a little pain in my leg.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • Yes, it does feel worse when you get up. Also, if I don't get my walks in, I seem to get more and more painful. Moving is a very important part of healing.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Kind of Zach - you're using your body sort of straight, like a log, and the fulcrum is your hips. You get to the edge of the bed, and as your legs go down to hit the floor, your upper body comes up. The spine stays straight, and it's easier to rise. Luckily, I learned that years ago when I had a hysterectomy. It's the ONLY way you can get up when you've had your stomach muscles cut. I'm using it now to get in and out of bed, up and down from the couch.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    That really has never stopped or changed for me almost since my first spinal surgery in 1978.
    Even today, when I get up from laying down or sitting, or get up from sitting in a car.
    I believe there are several reasons why this is happening to me or to anyone who has had spinal surgery.

- Tightness of scar tissue
    - Tightness of muscles that have not been stretched
    - Nerve related problems

In over 30 years I have not found a way to eliminate that.
    I have just become accustomed to it. It generally lasts only 2 or 3 minutes, so, I just deal with it.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I am sorry to hear you are having pain. Does any kind of light stretching before you get up help at all?

I sometimes have pain if I stand up from a seated position. After I move around for a minute or two it eases up - almost like the muscles have tightened and have to stretch back out. (Actually, I have pain in my left side much of the time - don't know if it is abs and back muscles or what.) I don't think the cold weather helps either - I hope it is warmer where you are than here (South Carolina). We are having unusually cold weather and it seems like my muscles are much tighter than they were.

Take care!