Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi-New, Just had cervical MRI and a bit scared...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everyone,
Happy New Year.

I had a head on collision in August 2007. I had my seat belt on and the air bag deployed. I went to ER, but they only took X-rays of my hand b/c the air bag burnt it. I told them my shoulder hurt, but they didnt do much.

Ive been going to PT (doesnt help) and chiro. The chiro just sent me for a cervial MRI. I got results tonight.

I have pain in the left side of my body. I have soreness where my seatbelt was on the left chest side, the upper back is burning pain, I have a tightness (Squeezing) in my left back of leg. It doesnt hurt, but its annoying and only feels better if I stretch. My lower back hurts and I just feel like crap.

Anyway-Im a bit scared after these results. I never had anything wrong with me before the accident. What do I do next? DOc didnt seem to tell me.

COMMENTS: The verterbral bodies are normal in height. There is no marrow signal abnormality. There is no evidence of spondylolisthesis. The cervical spinal cord is normal in signal. There is mild global disc dessication with mild loss of height at C6-C7. The cerebellar tonsils are normal in position.

C2-3: There is uncovertebral joint hypertrophy, left greater than right with minimal left nerual foraminal narrowing. There is no sig central canal narrowing.

C3-4: There is minimal disc bulging and biltareal uncoverebral joint hypertrophy. There is mild right neural foraminal narrowing and mild to moderate left neural foraminal narrowing. No sig central canal narrowing.

C4-5: There is a disc bulge and uncovertebral joint hypertrophy left greater than right. There is mild to moderate bilateral neural foraminal narrowing, greater on left. No sig central canal narrowing.

C5-6: There is a moderate size left central disc protrusion which ventrally effaces the epidural space. There is mild central canal narrowing, severe left nerual foraminal narrowing and mild right neural foraminal narrowing.

C6-7: There is a small left central disc protrusion which causes mild effacement of the ventral epidural space. There is minimal central canal stenosis, mild left nerual foraminal narrowing and mild right nerual foraminal narrowing.

C7-T1: No disc bulge or herniation. No sig central canal or neuroforaminal narrowing.

Mild right maxillary sinus mucosal thickening is noted.

Im glad in a way that things say LEFT because this is where I feel pain. But, Im scared to death. Can anyone tell me what all this means and if I should go talk to someone about surgery? Thanks so much. God bless all of you.

• You obviously have some problems going on in there,but don't be scared.were all here for you.if i were you i'd talk to my doctor and find out if you can consult with a surgeon,either ortho or neuro and find out what they think.How long have you been doing therapy for because disc bulges and herniation can take a long time to resolve.If they do at all.my doctor sent me to therapy for over a year before he would even talk to me about seeing a surgeon.Maybe they could do injections,i'm sure there are still other options out there for you.Have you been put on any kind of pain medication to help?
  • Thanks for the response.

I just got these results and they are going to send me to PT. I havent had any pain meds yet.

I am going to make an appt with my doc again to discuss what I can do without surgery. I turn 40 in March so I wasnt sure if some of this was just natural from getting older. but, I never felt bad before the car accident.

Thanks again :)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    We tend NOT to make any recommendations/suggestions/advice based on other member MRI reports. That is something that should only be left in the doctor's hands.
    If you have not received the input you need, then you need to go back to your doctor and ask for a better explanation.
    Ask them What are their suggestions?
    - Do I need surgery
    - What happens if I dont have surgery
    - What are the other options
    - Etc

They need to explain this to you in a method that you can understand
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • i hope the therapy helps you feel better!!