Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ok Guys, Today Is The Day I See My Current PCP......

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Pain Management
(Deep breath)..... I see my current PCP (from hell) today at 1030am.... just a couple of hours away and I am a mess at the moment. I am posting this between trips to the bathroom, if you know what I mean!!

My approach with him this morning is going to be like this.. I plan on mentioning the many mistakes that his office has made with me. Mistakes that I have gladly accepted their apologies and moved on down the road... until the next "mistake". I feel like I am being treated like I have done something wrong, which it has been proven time and time again that it wasn't me as I was confused with some other patient each time. I want to ask him what can I do to improve our relationship? I want to tell him how important he is to me.... to have a competent physician that I can RELY on to take care of me. I want to thank him for finally diagnosing me with Bipolar Disorder, when over the years other doctors would just increase my depression meds, which had no effect on my Bipolar Symptoms. He has done some great things for me. And I need him to continue to do MORE great things for me. Right now that means knowing that I am not going to have to go thru a police line up every time I need my meds refilled. I need a sense of rapport and trust with him.... how can we achieve this??

I feel like if I come at him this way maybe it might be good. Good in the aspect that I'm not there to piss him off, that I am asking for his expertise and care. I am hoping that atleast this may smooth things over for the time being.... I can see this other PCP doc on the 21st and decide if that is a good fit. If it ISN'T I haven't screwed myself with my current doc. And if it DOES, all the better. I can simply send him a letter stating that I have changed doctors and that I appreciate all that he has done for me.... and so does my therapist!~ (LOL... not gonna say that.. but he HAS increased the frequency that I see my therapist, simply because he has made me feel like such a loser... but not planning on saying this!!)

Any input on my intended approach with him this morning? I gotta run into the bathroom again, but will be around here until I leave to see him. I feel like I am walking the "Green Mile" everytime I walk into his office.

Hugs..... god I need one,

• I would simply ask him how in the world these same mistakes keep being made over and over again. Ask him what can you do to make things easier for him and his staff.

That sort of approach. Very non-threatening and allow him to be the one that comes up with the solution. He needs to feel like he is in control, otherwise it won't go very well.

• C,

That truly is my goal this morning. I will do my level best to leave the ball in his court and ask what I can do to help facilitate a better relationship.

Thanks C,

• Do you have all that written down, I know when I get nervous I forget everything I want to say. I usually make notes so I keep focused.
    I will be praying for you. It will go well and you will feel better having talked with this doctor.
    Take care,
  • I have my trusty little notebook all ready to go!! THANK YOU for the prayers and all of the helpful input over the past few days. Right now I need prayers on top of prayers... A.) that this goes well and B.) that I don't barf right on him when he walks in, from nerves.

Much love and thanks,

• Hi Amy, you did great with your proposed approach. Like 'C' said, avoid the You DID THIS TO ME and go with I FEEL TREATED LIKE I DID SOMETHING WRONG. I know you'll come out of this, meeting your goals and expectations. It's 10:49 right now, and you're probably still waiting to be called back. I wish clinics would be more punctual but understand why they run behind. Just stay calm, everything will work out fine.
  • Let us know how you make out in your appt. You sound like you've rehearsed this in your head quite a bit and it sounds good. I agree with the others that your approach is great and not go in there blaming him but with a how can work together attitude. Make sure you write everything down too so you have a record. Just remain confident. I pray you get the care that you deserve and this will all work out for the best. Good luck at your appt.
  • Well, I'm home after being at his office for over 2 hours. I left with #120 Percocet 10's, 1 q 6 hours, and refills on all of my other meds. I have my appointment with the prospective new doc in 8 days so I feel better about that now having atleast a full months worth of my meds.

I am still pretty upset right now over what transpired while there so I will post more later. I did all that was suggested and was sweet as pie..... but it didn't much matter. Still, I appreciate all of the words of concern, support and encouragement. You were ALL there with me this morning.

Love and peace to all,

Amy :/
  • I am so sorry the appt didn't go as you planned. Please do fill us in when you are feeling up to it. Just know that we are here for you. >:D<
  • I am so sorry you didn't quite accomplish what you set out to do, especially after realizing how nervous and anxious this morning's appointment had you... At least you have enough meds to last until you see your new doctor. I hope things work out at that appointment.

Be sure to go in with a list of questions to ask:

Of course you will have your standard questions you would like to know, but here are a few suggestions....

"Will you be able to continue my current medication regimine?"
    "What is your protocol on refills?"
    "What should I do in the event I am confused with another patient?"
    "Are you married?" (you know - in case he is cute (wink wink)!

I hope you cheer up/calm down soon. I am curious now as to what your doctor told you. He sounds like such a turd.

• I'm sorry to hear you're upset after your appointment. It must have been very uncomfortable for you. We're here for you if you need to vent.