Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ever had a discogram for surgical diagnosis??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I am having a discogram to determine for sure if the back and leg pain I am having is because of the herniated disc (L5). Although I am glad that my surgeon is trying to ensure the best results from surgery, I have such severe burning pain in my left leg that it takes my breath away.

Anyway, I wondered if the discogram is as excrutiatingly painful as I imagine???? Please be honest!! Also, were you sedated at all for the procedure??

• I have not had a discogram but have read many posts that they are very painful. My doctor told me before he will do surgery I will have to have a discogram, he wants to know for sure what he is dealing with. But I also have read that some doctors give sedation and then the person does not even remember the procedure. I would talk to the doctor that is doing the procedure and find out how they do it.
    It is the same with ESI's some do not do sedation some do, I found a doctor that does sedation and that is how I have ESI's. For some reason Lidocane used for numbing the skin before the procedure does not get me numb. I also recently found out that my doctors also do discograms with sedation.
    Hope this helps and good luck with the discogram, I hope your doctor finds the information they need to make a complete diagnoses.
    Take care,
  • to steelers 09

yes i have had a cervical discogram the word was it is painful they do need u awake to test and recreate the symptoms but due do the use of the wonderful drug of versed i don't remember a thing. I was quit sore in the neck and had difficulty swallowing for about 24 hrs but all was good after that hope this helps
  • Yes, I had a discogram prior to lumbar fusion. Yes, it hurts very bad. Not trying to scare you, just preparing you. I received Versed and Fentanyl IV during the procedure but needed to be awake enough to tell them what reproduced the pain. They first do a "test" disc(a good one) to see the reaction. That disc is just an extreme ouchie. The bad ones are the ones you cuss and cry during. However, when the test is over, you get a nice big dose of IV meds.

MRIs do not show everything. Many neurosurgeons consider discograms to be the gold standard to diagnose specific nerve root compression and pain generators. Discograms light up tears in discs like an MRI could NEVER show and also correlates specific nerve pain to the specific disc.

I would not want a discogram again, but if my surgeon told me I needed it, I would do it. It showed things the MRI did not show and was so obvious that work comp immediately approved my surgery. Yes, the thing is very painful and you will hurt when you get home(ice packs, ice packs, ice packs) but this test does give answers. And if work comp can't aruge with a discogram, I figure it means it is the ultimate!

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
  • I haven't had a discogram but I was wondering if they do it for decompression L5-S1? What type of surgery did you Dr. say you would get Steelers? Good luck. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN