Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Where to buy recovery supplies?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Where is the best place to find all of these post surgery supplies, like grabbers (I have seen these), toilet risers, toilet tongs, sock pullers, etc?

• many of these items are covered by insurance if prescribed by hospital, and can be given to you there before you leave.

if not, they will tell you where you can purchase them. for me, if my dr presribes it, i can call the medical suppy place, and have it delivered to me.

i hope this helps you!

ps. good luck with your upcoming surgery!
  • That big chain store W@@@@@ has a medical supply store in front of some of the bigger stores. Smaller stores have some of the things.

Your items can also be ordered thru your insurance company before you leave the hospital, If your insurance doesnt cover these things it is usally cheaper to do it on your own.

There are many therapy supply stores online and locally too. You will find tons if you search for home medical supplies online. You can also try searching for Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy supplies if you dont fine things the other way.

Good Luck

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    Major chain pharmacy stores.
    ALso, if your hospital has a pharmacy they will carry them.
    We also have a number of independent Medical stores that carry just about any medical equipment a person would need.
    Check the Yellow Pages for Medical Supplies
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • The hospital where I will probably be having surgery is a small 'Specialty Hospital', owned by physicians. Apparently my surgeon doesn't like the local county hospital(doesn't feel like his back patients are safe there), and has argued with insurance companies over allowing surgeries to be done at the Specialty Hospital. So, I don't know that they have a large pharmacy. I had my discogram there, and I had to go across the street to their office to have the x-ray and CT scan done.

I guess that I should find out what will be provided when I leave there. Though I doubt that a toilet riser will be. But I will start looking in different stores, when I go shopping. I've only looked briefly when I was in CVS, and only saw grabbers there. I was hoping I could order stuff and have it delivered. I have a hard time shopping now, energy wise and physically. I always try to get my boyfriend to come with me.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    Here is just one site that you can browse through to order items like you need:

I did a search for Toilet seat risers and they have a number of different ones

There are several other online sites you can order various medical supplies.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thanks Ron, I looked briefly and that looks like a very good site. I had tried googling 'back surgery recovery supplies', and came up with a few sites, but none seemed to have a very large inventory. Which is why I posted this topic.

I think this will really help for those items that I won't get from the hospital. I will still check with my insurance too, about reimbursing me. But even if they won't pay I will still buy items that are extremely helpful to me.
  • Most of those items are available at walmart or walgreens. Walmart has a awesome grabber
  • Cathy, when I had my surgery, the hospital discharge planner/case manager came to see me. She asked me what I wanted, walker, commode chair, and ordered it for me. My insurance covered it. It was delivered to my hospital room, but could have been sent directly to my home. The hospital occupational therapist came to see me and gave me the reacher, tongs, sock thingy, scrubby on a stick. Of course there was a crazy huge fee for these things on my itemized bill, but the insurance only pays a pro-rated amount anyway. I got a better grabber at Home Depot, so I have 2 which is needed in case you drop one. Hope you find and get all you need. Take care, Sue