Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cymbalta for pain?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Is anyone taking Cymbalta for pain? I happen to be on it for anxiety, but I wonder if it's also been helping to take the edge off my back pain? I'm having a one-level ALIF on February 4th.

• I take it for depression/anxiety but I've heard on here that it helps with nerve pain. I haven't noticed a difference yet but I just restarted on it about a month ago. I was on it before 2 years ago but went off it becuase it was $50/month copay. Now I have new insurance and pay $6/month copay. It seemed to help with me loosing weight 2 years ago and I've starting losing weight slowly within the last month so I am hoping it's the combo of eating better and taking cymbalta. I do seem to eat more the more depressed I get and cymbalta seems to help better with depression than the others did. Hope this helps with your pain too.
  • I take it for nerve pain and I think it's helpful to my mood as well. I prefer it over Neurontin and Lyrica. I heard Lyrica may cause weight gain and swelling, and I have none of that with Cymbalta. Of course everybody reacts differently to medication.
    Best wishes on your upcoming fusion and I hope it turns out successfully for you.
  • I will say that cymbalta helped me get through my nerve pain after my laminectomy in March of last year. I also lost weight while taking it. My only other problem with it was being tired all the time. The doctor weened me off of it after two months. Other than that it helped. Remember that we all react to meds different.

• but it wired me up too bad..I felt like I could climb the walls and then it was 2 days before I could sleep. I think I am hypersensitive to stimmulants though :|
  • i was on it 2 years and it did help a little with the pain especially when I first started it. I stopped it cause it was causing me to get dizzy.