Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

kimmeamkkimmeam Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I really don't know how much longer I can do it. I have been working since 2 weeks post ACDF c 5-6. The first couple weeks a few hours per day. Now I can easily work 9-10. Today I left at lunch. I just couldn't do it. I am in front of a computer for the most part of my day. I get up & around but it doesn't help. I put a sign on the door saying "CLOSED". I am the only one in the office. The Dr. will be there tomorrow (I work for an Optometrist). What am I to do? I guess the gal in his other office could close up & work for me.
He has finally placed an ad for help. We have gone through 2 people since August. I am lost. I don't know what to do. I can't not work bacause I have bills to pay. I can't work all day as it is too painful, even with my meds.
I see P/M for the first time on Monday. Maybe he will give me some answers. I thought about inquiring about disability but do not know how to do that or if I can even qualify.
On top of all the pain the last thing we need is to stress out over our jobs.
Sorry. I just really don't feel good today. :/

• I cannot imagine going to work 2 weeks after ACDF, I had that last March and did not go back until 6 weeks and that was part time. I hope the PM will be able to help you on Monday. Take it easy when you can and hang in there. Did you doc release you back to work?
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    I went back to work Full Time 12 days after my first ACDF .... one of the results was a failed fusion .... The whole shabang ++ had to be redone 1.5 years later ... Do the next right thing and give your body time to properly heal ... If you don't the results can be terrifying. I know ... I'm living them.

Take it EASY .... SSI SSD is an option to investigate.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• What exactly is failed fusion? At my 2 month( if I remember correctly it was 2 months)post op surgeon said that I was "fully fused". I did not buy it then, especially after the comments that I got here being a miracle. So can I be fused & still have a failed surgery? I'm sorry if that sounds silly, it's just that I do not understand. My surgeon was never one to talk to me or give me answers & now he has left the state. I have my last MRI cd & I have no idea what a fusion would look like.
    I honestly don't know how not to work! We are in the process of reviewing resumes. I hope to hire someone in the next 2 weeks. But then it'll take a couple months of training before I can leave. Actually if I had a back up plan (financially) I would leave tomorrow. I will ask the PM Dr. if I am eligible for disability benefits. I don't make much but it does at least cover the mortgage.
    Thanks for your insight & concern, it truly means a lot to me to have the support here.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    means that the bone that was implanted to replace the disk, did not grow into the surrounding vertabrae and become solid. "fused" Think of it like soldering two metal parts together .... the bone (donor or your own) is used as the solder to link the two vertabrae together. A failed fusion also called a psudo-athrodesis (false joint) is an undesirable (but it happens) outcome .... at one+ years I had only a tiny bit of fusion. My first surgery made a horrible situation worse.

The area between your vertabrae on the MRI should appear completely white ... No black or gaps.

Hope that helps!

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I have issues in my neck that are preventing me from working. It was a terribly difficult decision to stop working. I was experiencing a pinched nerve that was unbearable, now I am pre-surgery. The reduction of income definately has an impact on my ability to maintain a quality of life. However, the decision had to be made what is more important yourself or your job. This is not a minor surgery, it definately has given me a perspective. It is a very very difficult decision, and I totally get the fact of letting my boss down, and other down. The work to this day is not being done right/or in the same fashion and I know it, but I have to let that go- and that is difficult for a controlling person like me. :S