Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am afriad work is not "working out" for me

dbullwinkelddbullwinkel Posts: 224
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I returned to my special education job January 7th. after my July 31st surgery..My position involves much physical activity with 12 special needs preschoolers: lifting, moving, restraining from aggression etc. The day is non stop. To top it off I have been placed in a new setting (preschool) with all new staff. So I have to learn to procedures, adjust to my co-teachers way of doing things all the while trying to adjust to returning to work.
My pain level has increased to the point that I cannot function when I get home. I have difficulty moving my neck. The fatigue is to hard... I am back on pain meds 4 times a day ( I was down to 2)
I am beginning to think I made a mistake.
This is a comp case and I used 75 of my 100 days after my surgery. I plan on calling my attorney to ask if I can go back out (after I talk/see doctor) for the remaining days.
I am also contemplating shoulder surgery, and would use sick time for that.
Has anyone gone back,and decided they needed more time? I am a bit bummed out over this whole thing.
thanks for listening.

• But after 2 weeks I thought I had gone back way too soon and have spent more time at home since having gone back than I have in the office. My only saving grace is that I can work from home so I didn't have to go out on short term disability to begin with. But I reached a point a few weeks ago that I had to take my pain pills and I couldn't drive and take them so it left me in a very precarious condition with my job. I didn't know how understanding they might be but it turned out they were great and put me right back in my recliner for 2 more weeks. I'm sure you will do what's best for you since you are the only one who will be looking out for your best interest.
  • Donna, I am so sorry things arent going to well. You need to take care of yourself, first and foremost. Something I am struggling with myself,lol. I know how some of the classes actually are and understand the dangers of working in this setting. I have one sweet little boy that is non verbal, and I call him my little octopus, he is constantly all over, grabbing, pushing, dropping to the floor, humping your leg and back, you know the kind. Needless to say he loves deep pressure. When he was in K I could handle it, now that he is in 3rd grade I had trouble holding him on a good day! I just cant imagine being in this room even now.

I hope you can get what you need without a fight!

• Donna,
    I also work with preschoolers. My home is a daycare, so I run things by myself. I'm so limited. I'm presently in the process of putting things at waist level and above so I don't have to bend down to get them. This is a challenge, since a lot of things NEED to be at children's level for them. I hurt throughout the day also. I don't have to physically restrain children presently, however, when children fight me on going to time out or getting their diaper changed, it hurts. This is the only job for me, since I also have carpal tunnel which limits me to everything else (typing, filing, etc). I'm still in the process of going to school (for my associates child development degree). I had to stop, as sitting at the computer and at a table during class kills me. What are we to do?? I can totally relate.

• I applaud you for working with special needs children. I find them to be the most loving, sweet, and they truly are special. Well, except for the few who have extreme behavioral issues. My husband's cousin (who is older than I am) has the mental capacity of a 7 year old. He is so fun to be around! I have been married to his cousin for almost 14 years, and every time I see him (EVERY TIME I SEE HIM), he has a great big smile and hearty hug and calls me a different name. For a while I was Stephanie, the Julianne, then Margie. I don't mind. It just endears him to me even more each time he does that. I am the only one he does this to. Which makes me wonder how many women Kent has dated.... I knew there were many before me, but, good grief!

I am so sorry it is not working out for you. I hope you can get more time so you can get back to as close to normal as you can.

For me, and my surgery was what I consider to be minor - I went back to work after 2 weeks. Against my doc's wishes, but I had a statement from him in hand. I couldn't wait to go back to work, plus I felt SO much better than before the surgery. Did I do more harm than good? Who knows. But I did what I felt I was able to do at the time, so, I have only myself to answer to on this issue. I truly did feel great, though.

I wish you much luck and pain relief, Donna. Keep us posted!

• Donna,
    Nobody even you, could fault you for trying and that never knowing is not easy, sounds like a difficult job as do most while in pain and I teach,you are to be applauded for trying.

I was off many years and only ever returned part time, I do my best with what I have and for me this is good.

Take care you have been brave and tenacious and you will always have that.
  • I am having 360 spinal fusion in Feb. due to scoliosis.
    I babysat at home for just 3 little ones. Around April
    of last year I started having that terrible burning pain
    when I would pick a baby up to put them into bed or to put them in a high chair. Finally my dr. told me to quit and I am now waiting for surgery. The not lifting and bending with the babies has taken away a lot of that burning pain.
    Looking back, after stopping my babysitting, I can see that
    I wasn't really meeting state requirements anymore, physically or emotionally. I know looking back I can see that I didn't feel like making cookies in the middle of the day for no reason or to take them in and out constantly - and I only had 3 - instead I was feeling like if it would only be their naptime or only hurry and be time for them to go home - not because I didn't want them here but because my back just wasn't holding up anymore. When my Dr. told me my babysitting days were over, I was relieved to hear someone say what I had been thinking. Since then I have had 2 falls - and have thought - what if I had been holding a baby. So, I know the feeling, it's physically hard to work with little ones and I know many others have their own little children, my son is grown. Good luck to you