Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AmericantailAAmericantail Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am sorry to post here but new to this.
I wrote a long time ago about a laminectomy that i had in July.
I have since been classified as a failed back surgery.
Being in and out of hospitals for related issues I also have polyneuropathy.
Just sound out that i have severe scar tissue and a synovial cyst which is small but impinging on the right L5 nerve root.
BUT I have severe!!!!! pain on the left side buttocks along the side of the tail bone!!!!!!!!!!!!
The pain gets worse when sitting, not dx with cauda equine, but the pain is in the saddle bag area>
My question if anyone can pleaseeeeeeeee answer is could the pain that I am experiencing be from the cyst on the right side!\Is that possible?
neuro suggest resection of the cyst in conjunction with a posterolateral lumbar interbody fusion (what is that)
Any infor would be greatly appreciated!!

• I'm sorry your laminectomy didn't go right and you have complications. What your surgeon is proposing to do is a PLIF fusion. You can look it up under conditions-spinal fusions tabs for a complete explanation and video.
    I had decompression surgery and laminectomy. When I woke from that I had tremendous pain and my leg pain was still there, nerves screaming and all. I had 2 post op ESI's and ct/myelogram. My surgeon just told me to be patient, the nerve is swollen, etc. Later I found out that I had I developed a recurrent herniation, retrolisthesis, more nerve compression, etc. Later I had a 2 level TLIF with titanium rods and screws.
    I understand the situation you're in, it's very frustrating and painful. I can' say if it is just the cyst causing you the nerve pain, you'll have to ask your surgeon. If you decide to go through with the fusion, I wish you the very best and a speedy recovery.
  • so sorry you are having this horrible pain. I am not familiar with those cysts at all, but have had problems at L5-S1, and have permanent S1 nerve damage. I get severe pain if I do much of anything besides fully recline all day. My S1 nerve cannot take me sitting, standing, walking, etc. I have about a 20 to 30 minute window and then I get a nerve flare I do NOT want and can take weeks to get over.

I hope you find relief.

• Hi Americantail! Sorry to hear about your back woes...I also had a synovial cyst that caused horrendous pain along the whole sciatic nerve in my right leg/foot, as it was @ in the right L4/5 facet joint, but also wrapped around the yellow ligament & had wormed its way into the L4/5 nerve root...1st surgery & lammy removed it, but unfortunately I developed a post-surg spinal fluid leak (due to the cyst/mass attachment to the dural membrane that ruptured after my surgery) so I had a "re-do" but that left me w/ more facet damage & more instability....long story short: the cyst pressaged the need for my eventual fusion.

Some cysts are "simple" & can be aspirated w/ a needle & there you are: not too invasive, in & out the same day, etc..some come back & you can have them aspirated again, etc...but if they are growing into something or causing facet damage or nerve root compression, well...

You surgeon is suggesting (from what you wrote) that you have the cyst resected & then have the fusion to guarantee that there is no residual instability that would later require another operation (as in my case). But it is a big decision to make, to have a fusion. If your doc can remove the cyst & you have relief, well, you already have had 1 surgery for your lammy in July, now this one (maybe)...can you see yourself going thru another one later on for a fusion, if you decide to just treat the cyst now?

Not sure I'm making much sense...! My PLIF helped the instability left from the 2 priors I needed for the cyst removal. Had I not had the leak, maybe I would not have needed the fusion, since that surgery made the whole area weaker...but if you just have the cyst removed, as Paul did, maybe that would suffice for now?

Please don't take my word for it! Talk to your NS...he may be suggesting the fusion just to save you futher sugery down the road. I often wonder if when I had the cyst removed, if he had also done a fusion at that time, if I;d be better off now...

Good luck! Keep us posted! You are in a lot of pain from that cyst! And scar tissue can cause a lot of problems also...when my NS did my fusion, he said he removed a lot of epidural scar tissue from the cyst & dural repair site...I think that helped a lot.

Whew! Sorry for the long post! But you hit a nerve!